Sign in to follow this  

WP 43mm OC base valve shim stacks

I am using the fork from a 2004 105sx on a xr project. I have switched to .44 springs. The valving works pretty good at slower speeds and is plush in the rocks. In the whoops or g-outs it bottoms pretty easily. I have the clickers 2 out from full hard. With 5w maxima fork oil. My goal is to add some damping so that I can run the clickers more in the middle of range and if I can add some more g-out control without sacrificing too much in the rocks and roots. In the picture the top row is what was installed in the 105 forks. The bottom row is supposedly from a 2002 525. I was a little surprised to see that the 105 seems to have much stiffer valving. Now, the 105 fork has a check plate on the mid valve. I don't know what the 525 had for the mid valve. I'm not sure if I should look into adding a stack on the mid or if I can get the check valve mid to work properly. Thoughts?

Image1498091697.314100.jpg

Oil level controls bottoming

5 hours ago, mog said:

Oil level controls bottoming

Your correct, of course. I have been running 110mm air gap. Bottoming control doesnt seem to be the issue in my case, I guess I could have worded my post a little better. I am after a bit more damping before the end of stroke. I may be asking too much from these 10" travel forks.

I think I will try adding another 24mm base shim, and let the 14mm be the clamp.  Then go ride.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with your fork, but the 12 crossover seems small. Maybe a 16 would work better here. Going from a 10 clamp to a 14 will make a huge difference. Maybe a 12 clamp instead? Both those changes will stiffen both HS and LS a bit. Others with more specific knowledge of your fork may wish to chime in.

Good luck!

I was able to put a few hours on the bike with the new stack. It definately took it in the right direction.  Fork feels more composed everywhere. It is a little firmer on the sharp edge hits, but still pretty compliant. Clicker 17 out whick is dead in the middle of range, should let me go in either direction if needed.  I did go to 100mm air gap for this test. I did not bottom out the forks all day so I may experiment with oil level a little to find the best compromise.

• Like 2