Supermoto Gear

Need some gear; jacket and gloves primarily. But with riding temps from 80+ degrees looking at some lighter duty options aswell as secondary gear choices. Just got the bike back on the road for the first time in over a year and all my stuff is thrashed.

Wanting a full gauntlet glove with good protection. I'm not rich by any means but will pay to play if I have too. Preferably something with a palm slider or something of that sort as my palms have shredded on gloves in the past. None of which where very expensive gloves, so im looking to step  up to something track worth as I do intend to hit the track eventually. I looked at some alpinestars stuff but lots of the reviews that aren't the "I just got them had them for 3 days they are great" seem to report 8+ months ownership they are falling apart i.e. stitching coming undone or they didn't hold up in a spill aswell as expected. Now I know for every 10 happy customers you'd be lucky to get 1 good review and for every unhappy customer you would be lucky not to get 10 bad reviews but what is the deal. Seems there not top dollar 400+ dollar options get these negative deals more frequently.

Some gloves I looked at:

A* GP Pro R2  https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-gp-pro-r2-gloves

Spidi Carbo's

Different Dainese gloves

etc

Don't know much about companys like held or rev it or anything.

What would you guys recommend from those who have owned the stuff and put them through there paces?

Don't really care about the color/looks but things like a jacket I want something light like white so its not so hot in the sun. What options are there? I didn't want to half step this and get something okay just to end up getting some $400 gloves down the road or something because that is what I shouldve gotten in the beginning.

All rider protection equipment is expendable, especially gloves so have a spare set.  I use the armored sport bike gloves, I commute more than ride dirt.  The mid priced Cycle Gear gloves have survived 50mph get offs.  Armored mesh textile jackets like Cortech, Fieldsheer, RevIt or Bilt are OK (except at long stop lights), leather is best but very warm in summer.  I use TLD under armor for long rides, Fox and others have good stuff too. 

I had Alpinestars SP2, which survived a lot of abuse. They were $150 and now they are $170, so I just got the Alpinestars GP Plus R ($200). They're great so far, and have more protection. Still breaking them in though, so I can't comment on longevity, but if they last as long as my SP2s I'll be pleased.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-gp-plus-r-gloves

As for jacket, I choose to squid a bit and go with the Thor Impact Rig (discontinued) dirt armor. Not really suitable for street or track of course but helps with the heat and lets you wear a cool jersey.

• Like 1

For winter I use those sedici had them for year and many miles. Now in the vegas summer im using those alpinestar. Had them for only about 2 months, so far so good. As far as jacket in the summer I use my old fieldshieer mesh jacket it works well. In the winter I use my old Icon leather jacket or the Bilt "fabric" long jacket. (The Bilt works quite good up to about 36°f)1498169947529.jpeg1498169979309.jpeg1498170090972.jpeg

I'm not sure what I want to do yet as i'm really too broke right now to be getting any motorcycle stuff at all. I Probably should get a couple sets of gear though in the long run as street duty is really going to beat it up, I'll probably get caught in the rain a few times and what not.

Currently what I have left for gear is MX helmet, Thin MX Dirt Gloves, Rhok Jeans, MX Boots (no good for street), Rhok Helmet (that has been down lightly), cheap speed and strength textile jacket that is pretty shredded (surprised at how tough it is though). So definitely time to start looking at upgrading.

What I would like to get; Leather Jacket, Gloves, Better Helmet, Good Boots for street set up. For the high heat days maybe I can find some elbow pads and chest/roost combo thing and just rock a vented MX jersey.

EDIT: I did just order some A* GP Tech Gloves though. I hope they fit as their isn't anywhere local too try them on. I tried on some non-track A* gloves though at the local places and a Large fit me pretty well. A whole 300 smackers though, im gunna be riding in a t shirt for like 2 months over here lol

Edited by SKIPPY PB

16 minutes ago, LoLoSama said:

If you are a size 9, (43 euro) you can have those for free. Im not wearing then anymore. Of course they are used but still have some miles.
Alpinestar smx racing boots (street) just pay shipping

Those look sweet. I would give you some cash though. I'm not sure what size id be in those boots. In normal sneakers I fit like 10-11.5 depending on the shoe as crazy as that sounds lol

I have some Thor Blitz MX boots that aren't really broken in but they are really bulky and its really hard to hit the controls. They don't really fit under the shifter well at all. Maybe they need to break in or something but I feel as if the boot is really just too big for the foot controls. If i'm up on the tank its really hard to modulate the rear brake, so I tend to like sneakers but thats just a matter of time before I have a messed up ankle.