Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Not like its going to affect me much now, but just out of curiosity was wondering how long after you change your dirtbike tires do you retorque them? Changed my tires a few months back and retorqued them after first ride, just wondering if that was too soon or too late?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jay bird1138 said:

Re torque what?

My bad.. Rear axle nut and front axle nut for the tires. :facepalm:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fourfiftee said:

My bad.. Rear axle nut and front axle nut for the tires. :facepalm:

I usually retorque my tires when I check the muffler bearings and clean the glovebox filter.  :ride:

Seriously, I never recheck them until I'm servicing something that requires me to remove them or maybe I'm going over everything in the winter.  I use a torque wrench when I tighten them and have never had one come loose again.  Maybe I should.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the rear I give a good hard pull on the nut that feels like about 70ft lbs and never recheck.  On the front I pull about half as hard and never recheck, but I do torque the 4 - 6mm axle locks to 12 ft/lb. Again, never recheck.  The bolts that I have come loose on me are the plastics hardware. Even though they are cheap, those are worth rechecking since it takes a week to get them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like im in the clear lol, just wanted to see what others did for retorquing. Like I said I swapped tires and retorqued after the ride and I was all good. Thanks ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The torque spec for the rear axle nut on my Husky is a ridiculous 104ft lbs...I use my torque wrench and torque it to what they recommend. That baby isn't coming off even when I want it to come off. The front is a more reasonable 38ft lbs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea my rear is 96ft-lb of torque. Thought that was quite a bit lol

24 minutes ago, Force10 said:

The torque spec for the rear axle nut on my Husky is a ridiculous 104ft lbs...I use my torque wrench and torque it to what they recommend. That baby isn't coming off even when I want it to come off. The front is a more reasonable 38ft lbs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

The bolts that I have come loose on me are the plastics hardware. Even though they are cheap, those are worth rechecking since it takes a week to get them.

I put a dab of clear RTV on those plastics fasteners and they never come loose. Especially good for the shroud bolts into the tank inserts. Not much more than finger tight, they never come loose, and you don't risk spinning those wretched inserts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×