1984 XR350R no spark

I bought a really clean 1984 xr350r last week.  It had sat for sometime but ran.  Brought it home and ran for a few days but then quit.  Wasn't getting fuel.  Took off the carbs and they were nasty.  Cleaned them and the tank, checked valve adjustment and put it all back together.  I am now getting fuel but no spark. I have tried a new plug, disconnecting the kill switch, checked my connections, checked resistance on the coil, removed the resistor in the plug wire and replaced with a piece of copper and checked resistance on my stator and it appears to be in spec.

Would anyone know the resistance spec on the pulse generator?  I checked resistance on mine and I get 1325?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To make sure I'm reading my the correct way I put the prongs of the multimeter on each lead of the plug( one on blue wire and one on green wire) and got 1325.  Isn't that the correct way to read this?

The pulse generator is dead.

anyone know or have a lead on a pulse generator?

Or

Would anyone know another model that might cross over and be used in place of this one?

I already saw a used one on there but I'm afraid I would be in the same boat sooner than later

Well I found a used one that is supposed to be good.  Now waiting on brown Santa for parts.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Well my good used pulse generator came in and I installed it today.  It tests as it should ohm wise per the manual but I still have no spark.

Now what?  CDI box?  Can you test one?  Can you run a 1985 cdi box on the 1984?  The 1984 has 1 plug with 6 prongs and the 1985 has 2 plugs with 4 prongs on 1 plug and 2 prongs on the other.

you say 2 plugs instead of one plug same amount of pins are the wires the same colour? if they are then you should be able to pop the metal contacts out of the plugs  using a solid wire pushed down the wire side of the plug. (the metal connecters have a tang on them that holds them in the plastic) push the tang down and the connecters will come out easy (don't force them) and insert into the other plug if you do check what colour wire goes to what pin if they line up the same have a go but do not mix up the wires to pins or it could go pop.

most run the same colour code on the wires eg green is earth, blue=left, orange=right and so on do you have a wiring diagram?? would be handy for what your trying to do

good luck with it and let us know how you went?

I talked with Freddy @Xr's only and he said since the 85 motor is completely different than the 84 the CDI boxes could not be interchanged.

anyone have experience with this?

83-84 use the same cdi - brand new one on ebay

part number 30410-KG0-008

• Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 10:25 PM, S.O.A.N.Z said:

83-84 use the same cdi - brand new one on ebay

part number 30410-KG0-008

New CDI didn't help at all!?

Starting to sound like you have a faulty loom or connections? you have voltage from the stator and the components all test good.? have you checked earth and even add an earth to assure a good connection? have you tried a different plug? there has to be a reason  

Tried 3 plugs, had the coil tested, pulse generator tests at 547 when spec is 460-580, stator shows 92 when I ohm it.  Kill switch is disconnected.  Ground wire fits tight and connections are clean.

bout to pull the last 6 hairs out I have!

I can imagine. on the earth connections did you clean the frame as well as the terminal and the frame where the coil mounts? it would not surprize me that its some thing small. also do you have another bike you can test the coil on to eliminate that at least?

Yes the place on the frame is clean.  This coil just slips in a rubber boot.  This coil ran on my friends 1985 xr350r

I have disconnected kill switch and lights.  Not sure there is anything else to disconnect.  I do have a wiring diagram.  Looks just like what I have.