Sign in to follow this  

2016 TTR 230 Suspension

The standard front shocking is too soft and making my ttr 230 squirrelly and hard to control. I cannot find any way of beefing up the suspension and I cannot find any companies that offer stiffer springs. I weigh 210 lbs. Any suggestions to improve the suspension?

Google ttr fork spacers. I believe people have used 1/2 pvc pipe cut into a 1 inch or so spacer that is added to the top of the spring. Which in turn compresses the fork giving you a stiffer fork and possibly for clearance.

PVC spacers and heavier weight fork oil can help a lot for virtually no money.

You are asking the bike to do something it will always struggle to do. You (and I) weight too much to aggressively ride that bike.

• Like 1

Im suprised no company has any products to help ttr230 suspension.

There are options, Have a look at my build thread for my wife. front and rear shock options. Hope this helps, And they made an amazing difference!

My wife rides the same nasty single track i do with this bike! this thing is a tractor, point and shoot. Its not a rocket but some days its hard to loose her on the tight steep slower stuff. I have no issues using this thing as a back up if needed now.

ttr230-suspension-upgrade-other-mods

Edited by ScubaruSteve
  • Like 1

Thanks for everything, including the video. I now know exactly what type of single track to avoid... LOL! I am getting the suspension stiffened up. I had already geared up and it made a massive difference, now I am hoping the custom springs will help the squirrelly front end.

Yah Refresh, I thought the same thing when I bought the ttr, but frankly there is a dearth of any aftermarket stuff. I love the bike, but I wish I had known this.

I might call cannon and stop by and pick up some fork springs...

I have a nice set of YZ125 forks and triples that i got to put on my sons 230 but never did.  Off a 2003 I believe.  PM me if interested.

The springs on the stock bike are extremely frustating. The back is over-sprung at 8.34 N/mm and the front is under-sprung with a variable rate 0.34 - 0.48 kg/m spring. The 0.34 is way too soft and the front end dives and sits to far down in the stroke. The rear spring does not effectively use its available travel.

I ordered from Cannon Racecraft and installed a 7.0 spring on the rear and a 0.44 spring on the front. I use 20w fork oil with the oil level set at 160mm. The rear sag is set at 90mm. These springs and settings work well for a 180 pound rider at reasonable trail speeds.

The TTR suspension will never be a race suspension but these improvements make a significant improvement in the handling for trail riding. The springs rates are balanced front to rear and allow both ends to be reasonably firm while allowing a reasonable use of suspension travel.

Edited by SaShot
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 1:04 PM, SaShot said:

The springs on the stock bike are extremely frustating. The back is over-sprung at 8.34 N/mm and the front is under-sprung with a variable rate 0.34 - 0.48 kg/m spring. The 0.34 is way too soft and the front end dives and sits to far down in the stroke. The rear spring does not effectively use its available travel.

I ordered from Cannon Racecraft and installed a 7.0 spring on the rear and a 0.44 spring on the front. I use 20w fork oil with the oil level set at 160mm. The rear sag is set at 90mm. These springs and settings work well for a 180 pound rider at reasonable trail speeds.

The TTR suspension will never be a race suspension but these improvements make a significant improvement in the handling for trail riding. The springs rates are balanced front to rear and allow both ends to be reasonably firm while allowing a reasonable use of suspension travel.

Hey, I was looking to order the same springs you did and called cannon racecraft. Do you by chance have the dimensions of the springs? They said they need them in order to custom make the springs, but they are not listed in the manual. The dimensions they asked for were the free length and outside diameter of the fork springs, and the free length and inside diameter of the rear shock spring. I weigh 195# and ride trails out in arizona and the front and rear suspension both bottom out on everything. I got a really good deal on the bike (2017 for $1000, the old owner crashed and broke his hand and just wanted it gone). Also, were you able to change the oil in the rear shock, from what i've found is that the rear shock cant be rebuilt.  Thanks!

You must have caught them at noon. They had all of the information needed for a TTR230 when I called them. Here is a copy of the invoice with the part numbers that they supplied. It is the best mod for the money that you can do to a TTR230.

clip.jpg

Does anyone know if the YZ85 fork conversion would work with the TTR230 like it does with the TTR125? That would be my suggestion to do if that conversion also works with the 230s. Just did it on my 125 and its a massive difference. I'm 195lb and its perfect for me.  

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, SaShot said:

You must have caught them at noon. They had all of the information needed for a TTR230 when I called them. Here is a copy of the invoice with the part numbers that they supplied. It is the best mod for the money that you can do to a TTR230.

clip.jpg

So, I contacted cannon again. I quoted your order and the part numbers they sent you to have them make me a set. Ashley, their receptionist, insisted that I pull out my fork springs and the shock spring and send them in before they will make me a set. When I asked to speak to one of their engineers (as I am a mechanical engineer myself) she put me on hold. Eventually she just picked up the phone and told me they will call me back but it never happened. How does a company like this manage to stay in business?

Edited by Crhenn23

Here is their parts list and numbers. I had very good service and it was easy when I ordered and they had recommended rates for the front and back that work very well. Sounds like this person needs some training. Maybe ask to talk to their engineer or plant manager. Be sure to relate your experience with their order person as they need to address this personnel issue if they want to stay in business.

CannonRacecraft-Application-Chart_Page_08.jpg

Greetings,

I am about to buy a set of springs also.  What year TTR was this purchase for?  Cannon found the order and notes a length of 614mm (matches the shop manual) and 29mm for the OD (not listed in the manual).  My question is:  have there been any variation in the OD of the springs over the years?  If not then it is easy.  If not will get the micrometer out and measure a spring.

Thanks