PowerFiend

2017 FE failed clutch slave cylinder and any preventive fixes???

For those who have experienced the 2017 FE/FC/FX 450/501 failed clutch slave cylinder do you have or did you learn any possible preventive fixes??? Is there anything those of us that haven't had any issues can check for (Bur, sharp edges, or cut orings)?

Was it for specific range of build dates?

• Like 1

Mine failed Tuesday... In the dealer parking lot. I was bringing it in for something else. It will be interesting to see what the cause is. I'll post up here when they fix it.

I honestly think they need to do a recall on this. Seems to me it is now a matter of when, not if, it will fail. What if you are on the top of Engineer  Pass in Colorado when your clutch goes out?

Btw, I received my bike very early. December 28th to be exact.

• Like 2

I'd be very interested in hearing what you learn.  Hopefully they just don't replace the piston seal and give it back as "fixed".

I was getting ready to order a slave repair kit, bleeder syringe and Magura blood.  Went out to read the cover on the Magura master cylinder at the clutch lever and was surprised to read "Use only DOT 4 or 5.1 brake fluid".  I knew Brembo used brake fluid but didn't know Magura had also gone to brake fluid.  I understand brake fluid's not great for the clutch/engine when the slave cylinder starts leaking it across.

I noticed the front brake reservoir calls for 4 or 5.1 as well.  But the rear brake reservoir calls only for DOT 4.  So I guess DOT 4 it is in my supplies kit.  Still surprised.

Edited by markbfe501

Dealer is still waiting on parts, but apparently it is a different unit - new design. So, no, I would NOT just replace the part, because it will happen again. I got lucky. It failed between the time I loaded my bike in the truck and took it out at the dealer. I cranked it up to ride around the block to heat up the motor, and it failed. So, minimal time in the crankcase.

• Like 1

So what happen or should I be looking for too know it's failing? My warranty is up next month and would like to watch to see if I can get it covered in that time if its going to fail.

• Like 1

On 06/23/2017 at 2:49 PM, Filipe said:

Dealer is still waiting on parts, but apparently it is a different unit - new design. So, no, I would NOT just replace the part, because it will happen again. I got lucky. It failed between the time I loaded my bike in the truck and took it out at the dealer. I cranked it up to ride around the block to heat up the motor, and it failed. So, minimal time in the crankcase.

Please post pics of the new part if possible, so we can see the difference if any.

On 06/23/2017 at 5:54 PM, Back in the saddle again said:

Mine failed right at 1000 miles.  got a replacement slave from the dealer.  I believe that it will fail again at 2000 miles.  I think that I will see if the brembo unit from the KTM fits next time.  All Balls has a rebuild kit, but it doesn't have the right O-ring.

The only thing I would worry about with the brembo unit is a different piston size giving a different leverage ratio at the lever.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:37 PM, DAT GUY303 said:

So what happen or should I be looking for too know it's failing?

In my case it was quite binary: at 8am it was working fine. At 10:30 it had failed completely. No warning signs.

Whatever you do, if your reservoir is losing fluid, and you don't see it leaking anywhere, don't just keep filling it up, because you are just pumping more fluid into you crankcase.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PowerFiend said:

Please post pics of the new part if possible, so we can see the difference if any.

Dealer found the part late Friday and installed it. I picked the unit up Saturday. I only have this pic of the exterior. I can't remember what the old one looked like. This might be the same part, and there are only new internals.

SlaveCylinder.jpg

17 hours ago, Filipe said:

Dealer found the part late Friday and installed it. I picked the unit up Saturday. I only have this pic of the exterior. I can't remember what the old one looked like. This might be the same part, and there are only new internals.

SlaveCylinder.jpg

It looks just like my stock one,  so no exernal differences. Did you happen to get a new part number for reference.

KTM has used magura off and on for years without issue, but were they always mineral oil? Maybe they didn't source the correct rubber for the brake fluid?

• Like 1

My slave cylinder failed on my 2017 FE 501 at 1408 miles.  Went to the local dealer who cant even look at the bike for a month. Also the bike was delivered 12/29 and is currently out of warranty by a few days, although I couldn't ride due to snow until mid Feb. Shop service manager suggested I call Husky directly to discuss and see what they will/won't do. Need to fix ASAP. What is the best fix? There are no repair parts show in the parts diagram. Will the Brembo assembly from the KTM work ?  It is half the cost of the Magura slave assembly. Could the Oberon assy be an option??

Took the Magura slave cylinder apart and found that the inner O ring on the piston has failed. Hopefully a replacement O ring can be located . Any ideas. Hopefully Husky USA has the answer. Seems like a waste of money to buy the assy.

P1010198.JPG

P1010200.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ThumpOR said:

Took the Magura slave cylinder apart and found that the inner O ring on the piston has failed. Hopefully a replacement O ring can be located . Any ideas. Hopefully Husky USA has the answer. Seems like a waste of money to buy the assy.

P1010198.JPG

P1010200.JPG

Exact same failure that I had.  

• Like 1

To help expedite resolving failure I took the slave apart yesterday and took the part to the local dealer today vs waiting for a month when they could start looking at it. This was no help and probably hurt the situation. I was advised that since the disassembly was not done by a authorized facility that it just raises more questions. Shop is more than willing to assist in a month but did indicate three things, that likely could impact the resolution. Out of warranty by a few days, delivery date 12/29 and failure on 7/2 (1408 miles on odometer) , modifications to bike, and owner disassembled. Husky USA was open today so I called and was told the process must be started at dealer. Knowing that the dealer is a month out Husky USA was more than willing to give other dealer options. Explained that the other dealers are aprox 3 hrs  travel one way. The cost in time and gas offsets the cost of a replacement slave cylinder. Unfortunately the only way to get bike functional in the shortest amount of time is to replace the part out of pocket and hope that it does not fail again. The failed slave o ring is not serviced or this could all be resolved for a few dollars vs $170.00. Waiting for dealer at this point is no longer an option due to timeliness and the unknown as to what Husky would do.

Surely someone out there knows how and where to pick up these o-rings.  They'e been making these things for decades.  Anyone?  If not, maybe theres a business opportunity?  

• Like 1

I agree.  Mine hasn't failed yet but it seems like it is only a matter of time.  If we buy the whole assembly out of pocket and replace it, will it come with an upgraded part?  We need answers! 

My dealer was willing to replace the part for me, even though I removed it.  The replacement was placed on backorder and the ETA was a month.  I purchased a replacement from motorsport.com for 160 bucks.  The dealer came through in 2 weeks so I now have a spare.  I looked at the o-ring on the replacement and it looks like it's the same, but I can't tell if the rubber compound is different.   

• Like 2