PowerFiend

2017 FE failed clutch slave cylinder and any preventive fixes???

2 hours ago, mlhaskins said:

Does anyone know if this problem continues with the 2018 model year?  Thanks......

I did a quick search on Husky's site.  The 2017 FE501 and 2018 FE501 show the same part number for the slave cylinder, so I'm betting the 2018 has the same problem.

• Like 1

Add mine to the list, 2017 fc 450.  I went out for practice, I thought the clutch felt a little "mushy" riding through the pits and by the time I had went half a lap I could pull the lever to the bars with no effect.  The bike had 21 hours on it.  I wasn't sure what was wrong so I talked to the only other Husky rider there that day and he informed me that his slave cylinder had crapped out at 15 hours.  I ordered a new slave cylinder and that did fix the problem.  I really like this bike from a performance stand point but after reading MXAs report that this is a known problem and Husky is doing absolutely nothing I will be returning to one of the Japanese brands for next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, no air charlie said:

Add mine to the list, 2017 fc 450.  I went out for practice, I thought the clutch felt a little "mushy" riding through the pits and by the time I had went half a lap I could pull the lever to the bars with no effect.  The bike had 21 hours on it.  I wasn't sure what was wrong so I talked to the only other Husky rider there that day and he informed me that his slave cylinder had crapped out at 15 hours.  I ordered a new slave cylinder and that did fix the problem.  I really like this bike from a performance stand point but after reading MXAs report that this is a known problem and Husky is doing absolutely nothing I will be returning to one of the Japanese brands for next year.

I initially was thinking similar thoughts.  But I threw a Oberon in it, and it is a fantastic bike otherwise.  I'm not going to let a $100 part turn me off totally on the bike.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

I initially was thinking similar thoughts.  But I threw a Oberon in it, and it is a fantastic bike otherwise.  I'm not going to let a $100 part turn me off totally on the bike.

I get what your saying, if you can afford a $9,000 dirt bike you can afford a small repair bill. It's not the $100 repair that bothers me as much as the fact that Husqvarna knows it's an issue and does nothing. Part of the reason I buy a new dirt bike is so I can avoid having issues such as this.

Edited by no air charlie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

Hear hear bro!! This bike is awesome now that I’ve put the Oberon slave on. I love this machine!! 🤘🏽 Funny thing too, is I can now find neutral easier with the Oberon slave. 

• Like 5

On 11/21/2017 at 7:59 PM, Emilio Fitchett said:

Hear hear bro!! This bike is awesome now that I’ve put the Oberon slave on. I love this machine!! 🤘🏽 Funny thing too, is I can now find neutral easier with the Oberon slave. 

Installing mine early next week. Hopefully I can find neutral as well. Thought it was just me lol. 

• Like 2

Did 250 mile ride yesterday, from my home town in Riverside California. through Big Bear then out to yucca valley and back. Bike worked flawlessly entire day. Her first time in the dirt. Stock tires were a little squirrelly. But had the tire pressure set kinda  high, 20 psi. Really rocky through the back mountain roads.  Holy cow I need to order a better seat!! Felt like I was sitting on a 2 x 4 lol. Gonna order seat concepts seat this week then I'll have the perfect bike. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Did a quick parts search on the Husqvarna web site, using my VIN (2018 FX450) and the parts fiche for the clutch slave cylinder does indeed show the same part # for the 2018 FX450. However, there is an asterisk by the part # that (when you look below) tells you that this a NEW part (along with the clutch line) and it is different (at least, clutch line connection, no banjo bolt) to the 2017 model. Not sure if this will mean anything long term and there is still the Oberon option.  

• Like 2

Did 250 mile ride yesterday, from my home town in Riverside California. through Big Bear then out to yucca valley and back. Bike worked flawlessly entire day. Her first time in the dirt. Stock tires were a little squirrelly. But had the tire pressure set kinda  high, 20 psi. Really rocky through the back mountain roads.  Holy cow I need to order a better seat!! Felt like I was sitting on a 2 x 4 lol. Gonna order seat concepts seat this week then I'll have the perfect bike. 
image.jpeg.ee5cacea1cf041293f1fe64487345482.jpeg

Pappy & Harriet’s? Willie Boys grave?
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, KennyMc said:

Pappy & Harriet’s? Willie Boys grave?

KennyMc hell yeah!! You know what's up! 🤘🏼😃  some awesome riding back there! 

Edited by Emilio Fitchett
  • Like 1

Well guys and gals,

glad I found this thread but I hope it's not too late for my engine on the 17 fe501. Was riding arrowhead to big bear 2 weeks back and had mine fail. Pulled the master cylinder cap off and a bunch of hot air under pressure shot out, completely empty. I stole fluid from the rear brake and filled the reservoir up, no dice. Now I had no clutch and no rear brake, ha! I slammed gears for 20 miles to big bear, had my wife meet me and loaded in the truck.  Got home, bought a mighty vac. Bled the slave and it worked! Took the bike out to wagon wheel for thanksgiving, rode 1.4 miles before failure. 

Dropped the bike bike off at Berts Mega Mall where I bout it on Monday and my service manager had never heard of the problem. He also assured me that brake fluid getting into the motor would t be an issue.....Gonna call first thing in the AM and see if they will switch to Brembo as a good faith effort. I have 400 miles on the bike and my warranty expired in August. FML. 

Im hoping they will do a good faith effort and that my motor doesn't blow up.

I think it's important that we all, if you haven't already, write husqvarna about this issue and document it referencing this thread. It is simply absurd that they aren't issuing a recall to stand behind their expensive product. I'm going to politely and professionally let them know this is BS and if they don't issue a recall or take care of us they will lose business and reputation. I agree that the bike is awesome otherwise and may be petty to make a big deal over a $100 part. However, on the same token, Husky should take responsibility for a $100 part to protect their reputation. This is simply ridiculous on a $12k bike. 

I hope we don't have to see threads on the 18's about brakes failing and people getting hurt....may be the start of a class action....

My 2cents.

• Like 2

Yea, kinda strange since KTM/Husky stepped up and recalled the front brake master cylinder on certain ‘17’s. Mine was one that was part of that recall.

18 hours ago, cg818 said:

Well guys and gals,

glad I found this thread but I hope it's not too late for my engine on the 17 fe501. Was riding arrowhead to big bear 2 weeks back and had mine fail. Pulled the master cylinder cap off and a bunch of hot air under pressure shot out, completely empty. I stole fluid from the rear brake and filled the reservoir up, no dice. Now I had no clutch and no rear brake, ha! I slammed gears for 20 miles to big bear, had my wife meet me and loaded in the truck.  Got home, bought a mighty vac. Bled the slave and it worked! Took the bike out to wagon wheel for thanksgiving, rode 1.4 miles before failure. 

Dropped the bike bike off at Berts Mega Mall where I bout it on Monday and my service manager had never heard of the problem. He also assured me that brake fluid getting into the motor would t be an issue.....Gonna call first thing in the AM and see if they will switch to Brembo as a good faith effort. I have 400 miles on the bike and my warranty expired in August. FML. 

Im hoping they will do a good faith effort and that my motor doesn't blow up.

I think it's important that we all, if you haven't already, write husqvarna about this issue and document it referencing this thread. It is simply absurd that they aren't issuing a recall to stand behind their expensive product. I'm going to politely and professionally let them know this is BS and if they don't issue a recall or take care of us they will lose business and reputation. I agree that the bike is awesome otherwise and may be petty to make a big deal over a $100 part. However, on the same token, Husky should take responsibility for a $100 part to protect their reputation. This is simply ridiculous on a $12k bike. 

I hope we don't have to see threads on the 18's about brakes failing and people getting hurt....may be the start of a class action....

My 2cents.

Bert's is full of horse shit! They know they just don't want to replace what they think husky should replace. Anyway you don't want to put another oem slave on its just gonna happen again bro. My Oberon works and looks great! Totally satisfied now. 

• Like 1

I replaced mine during my last oil Change with the Oberon. Figured to do it before it goes out. It was just a matter of time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, l8apex said:

I replaced mine during my last oil Change with the Oberon. Figured to do it before it goes out. It was just a matter of time. 

Good amigo! Now you don't have to worry. Now you can ride like the wind!! 😃🤘🏼👍🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Yep, I completely agree Emilio. Gonna order the Oberon and get my bike out of there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cg818 said:

Yep, I completely agree Emilio. Gonna order the Oberon and get my bike out of there.

Takes about 20 minutes to install it bro then you'll be riding again! Your bike would probably sit over there for a week all sad because it's not out rippin around!! 🤘🏼😆😂

I have a 17’ FX 350. Oberon’s site under Husq doesn’t list either of the 2 slaves as fitting. Under the KTM slaves no model lists the 350 xc-f from 2016 on which would be the corresponding KTM motor variant either.

I’ve emailed Oberon twice through their site asking if they make anything that fits. No replies, not impressed.

I ended up talking to All Balls through email...great responses and details! guy confirmed the husq slave replacement piston and seal kit they make is NOT brake fluid compatible and that is also the same material and spec as the oem Magura seal. Not new news but important to note that even the All balls husq kit (part 18-4000) isn’t good. He did confirm that the ktm kit (part 18-4006) for the 2016+ 350 xc-f is brake fluid compatible however.

Question is will the all balls brembo based piston / seal kit for ktm fit in the oem Magura slaves on the husq 350’s? From this thread read about mx action mag saying 450fc is working fine with brembo internals, but 350’s and 450’s between bikes use different slaves. Can anyone confirm it works fine? It’s only a $26 experiment from RMATV to try if I have to without confirmation but figured I’d ask.

10 hours ago, stevieachi said:

I have a 17’ FX 350. Oberon’s site under Husq doesn’t list either of the 2 slaves as fitting. Under the KTM slaves no model lists the 350 xc-f from 2016 on which would be the corresponding KTM motor variant either.

I’ve emailed Oberon twice through their site asking if they make anything that fits. No replies, not impressed.

I ended up talking to All Balls through email...great responses and details! guy confirmed the husq slave replacement piston and seal kit they make is NOT brake fluid compatible and that is also the same material and spec as the oem Magura seal. Not new news but important to note that even the All balls husq kit (part 18-4000) isn’t good. He did confirm that the ktm kit (part 18-4006) for the 2016+ 350 xc-f is brake fluid compatible however.

Question is will the all balls brembo based piston / seal kit for ktm fit in the oem Magura slaves on the husq 350’s? From this thread read about mx action mag saying 450fc is working fine with brembo internals, but 350’s and 450’s between bikes use different slaves. Can anyone confirm it works fine? It’s only a $26 experiment from RMATV to try if I have to without confirmation but figured I’d ask.

Sent you a PM with a direct email address for one of Oberon's directors.  I have found them to be very responsive when I was working with him on a slave replacement for the FE's.

Regarding whether Brembo seals will work in Magura slaves, I think Brembo is using a round o-ring, whereas Magura switched to a square/cupped profile on their seals.

I had communicated with the product development engineer at AllBalls for months.  He did a lot of research (bought and tore down the 17 Magura slave, pulled the cup washer, found the replacement (not brake fluid compatible like the original), and said he had a supplier tooling up to make a brake build compatible version.  I haven't been able to get a reply from him in the past couple of months as to where they are on a repair kit.

Another option is to find the Brembo equivalent slave (from a KTM).  

Sorry I can't be more helpful as to whether Oberon makes a replacement for the FX350.

Best wishes,

Mark

• Like 1