PowerFiend

2017 FE failed clutch slave cylinder and any preventive fixes???

1 hour ago, pk4122 said:

New to this forum, looks like a great resource!  I have 65 hrs on my '17 FE501, and last weekend experienced the same issue.  Zero fluid in the reservoir, clutch dragging, 50 miles out on mountain single tracks!  I can't believe the number of folks with this issue, and surprised my dealer service dept. seemed unaware of it!  I've already ordered a new assembly from Husq, hope that wasn't a mistake.  Question: should I be concerned about any related engine or clutch damage, given the fluid leaking into the crankcase?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

I would order an Oberon or the brembo off the orange bikes. And change the oil!

I need help and quick to order parts. Foolishly waiting to figure this out hoping Oberon would make my slave and leaving Wednesday for a trip and discovered clutch is out on my 17 fx 350 last night.

Anyone with an FX 350 confirm the oem brembo slave is all you need and works fine with Magura master cylinder? Do I need clutch pipe (another $80) and bleeder screw stuff? Looking at oem clutch fiche on rmatv for 17’ ktm 350xcf. Any help is appreciated.

Debating just ordering all balls or racer x rebuild kit if i still have unknowns about swapping to brembo. FE’s use different parts not a lot of FX examples here. Thanks

7 hours ago, stevieachi said:

I need help and quick to order parts. Foolishly waiting to figure this out hoping Oberon would make my slave and leaving Wednesday for a trip and discovered clutch is out on my 17 fx 350 last night.

Anyone with an FX 350 confirm the oem brembo slave is all you need and works fine with Magura master cylinder? Do I need clutch pipe (another $80) and bleeder screw stuff? Looking at oem clutch fiche on rmatv for 17’ ktm 350xcf. Any help is appreciated.

Debating just ordering all balls or racer x rebuild kit if i still have unknowns about swapping to brembo. FE’s use different parts not a lot of FX examples here. Thanks

Get the Brembo slave assembly, the bleeder screw, a new slave gasket and two new copper washers. 

1 hour ago, CSAR FE said:

Get the Brembo slave assembly, the bleeder screw, a new slave gasket and two new copper washers. 

I believe the Brembos require longer screws, get those too.

28 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

I believe the Brembos require longer screws, get those too.

The stock ones worked fine for me. Maybe I should order new ones.

11 minutes ago, CSAR FE said:

The stock ones worked fine for me. Maybe I should order new ones.

I believe the brembo  slave is slightly thicker than the magura, and the reason for the longer screws. Not verified myself, but its been posted.

5 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

I believe the brembo  slave is slightly thicker than the magura, and the reason for the longer screws. Not verified myself, but its been posted.

Thanks for the heads up!

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

I just used the Brembo internals and it worked fine. 

• Like 1

I have a FE501.  Just saw you have an FX, not many went out on the FX, sorry. 

20 hours ago, Spud786 said:

I checked the fiche for both the KTM SX/XCF and Husky FC/FX, and they both use the same sized bolts: 2 ea M6x20 and 1 ea M6x30. It may be a different story for the XCW/FE models.

Edited by CSAR FE
  • Like 1

Just an FYI about the case bolt holes on the slave.  The cases are soft and sure enough I stripped one out.  But they are blind holes, so my dealer's mechanic drilled all three out and installed inserts.  He did this while I waited.  Quick, simple and I no longer think about stripping out these bolts and it was cheap to get done.

well i just got hit with the magura clutch problem this weekend only 10 hours on my 18 FX450 and the clutch is gone was gonna order a brembo slave but I have the straight hose and not the banjo style so gonna order a Oberon here soon

Guy's,

Is this problem inherent to the 4-strokes only? I have an 18' TE-300 and am heading to Colorado this summer for a week of riding in the mountains. Would hate to experience a slave failure in the middle of my trip. Anyone heard of this slave issue on the 17-18 2-strokes?

23 hours ago, BD100 said:

Guy's,

Is this problem inherent to the 4-strokes only? I have an 18' TE-300 and am heading to Colorado this summer for a week of riding in the mountains. Would hate to experience a slave failure in the middle of my trip. Anyone heard of this slave issue on the 17-18 2-strokes?

I've not heard of the 2-strokes having the issue.

Replaced my 2017 fc 450 at 20 hours and yesterday it crapped out again at 45 hours.  Not putting another Magura in it.  Very frustrating.

Posted (edited)

Does the Oberon work with the standard hydraulic line on the FC 450?  The picture posted above looks more like a KTM line.

Edited by no air charlie