PowerFiend

2017 FE failed clutch slave cylinder and any preventive fixes???

Mine failed today, but it was caused by the chain snapping and breaking the housing. Haven't had any other issues with it other than this. 130 hours on the bike.

20180722_183509.jpg

18 hours ago, brooksssanthony said:

...130 hours on the bike.

Wait... you got 130 hours on your original Magura? And then you broke it with your chain? Those things are just snakebit.

I wonder if ANYONE has more than 130 hours - or even close to this on their original slave?

Crickets?

Joined the forum just for this topic. I've had my 17' FE450 since January, 80hrs, almost 3000 miles, ride it to work 4 days a week and singletrack on the weekends. its run flawlessly but this thread has me worried! Should I be proactive or is it possible that because this is one of the later 17' models they fixed the O-ring issue on the slave cylinder? The post saying it lasted 130 hours made me hopeful  

4 minutes ago, motoman702 said:

Joined the forum just for this topic. I've had my 17' FE450 since January, 80hrs, almost 3000 miles, ride it to work 4 days a week and singletrack on the weekends. its run flawlessly but this thread has me worried! Should I be proactive or is it possible that because this is one of the later 17' models they fixed the O-ring issue on the slave cylinder? The post saying it lasted 130 hours made me hopeful  

Replace it, cheap insurance against having to push your bike home. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, motoman702 said:

Mine is also a late model '17  I picked up in December. No o-ring was in mine fyi....

1 hour ago, wr250ish said:

Replace it, cheap insurance against having to push your bike home. 

good point, its on order 

• Like 1

Is this failure only happening to FE models? I have 103 hours on my 2017 FC 350 that I bought in september 2016 with zero issues.

My bike was idling as I went to close the garage and it shifted itself from N to 2nd and fell over. I thought a small gust of wind could have pushed it off its kickstand but the wheel was spinning when I got to it.
Bled the line, no bubbles. Emailed Oberon.

5 hours ago, HansLanda said:

My bike was idling as I went to close the garage and it shifted itself from N to 2nd and fell over. I thought a small gust of wind could have pushed it off its kickstand but the wheel was spinning when I got to it.
Bled the line, no bubbles. Emailed Oberon.

What makes you believe the clutch slave caused the bike to jump into gear?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HansLanda said:

...shifted itself from N to 2nd...

You can get your bike into Neutral?!?!

Seriously, my bike has done that about 3 times. Usually sitting at a traffic light.

I have a Brembo slave. I would say the slave has nothing to do with this.

12 minutes ago, Filipe said:

You can get your bike into Neutral?!?!

Seriously, my bike has done that about 3 times. Usually sitting at a traffic light.

I have a Brembo slave. I would say the slave has nothing to do with this.

Oh, no one told you the trick yet, you have to be rolling to get it into neutral. 

16 hours ago, Sigma Pi said:

...you have to be rolling to get it into neutral. 

Yes, I know that trick. It works about 22% of the time.

The other trick is to make sure you are in a situation where you must make the perfect shift from 1st to 2nd so you won't stall out or crash. Then it will go right into neutral.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, markbfe501 said:

What makes you believe the clutch slave caused the bike to jump into gear?

Not sure, but maybe Oberon can help out

So I bought a 2006 KTM 450EXC for my son in the late spring of 2006. The prior owner had just paid a dealer to install a new clutch slave by Magura in March of 2017.  Worked fine but saw less than 200 miles as my son took it to college and used it to get around campus.   First big off-road ride and in the middle of nowhere this last April it blows out.  Only about 25 miles into the trip.  Fortunately we had a support vehicle so we loaded it into the truck and he spent the rest of the trip in air conditioned comfort.  

I had just bought a 2017 FE501 with 121 miles on it.  Prior owner installed a Rekluse so I am safe but I have the Magura slave sitting in the box along with my son’s blown slave.   Dealer would not do anything to help.  Indicated that their experience with rebuilding the Magura slaves is not good.  Put an Oberon on my son’s bike but I now own two Magura slaves.  Should I just rebuild them with Brembo parts?  If so, which ones?

i am proud to be an attorney and a proud Husky owner.  On my 3rd Husky/KTM bike.  These defective slaves have ruined trips, caused injuries and taken hard earned cash from our pockets along with our valuable time.  Magura and KTM USA deserve a lawsuit.  I would be willing to pursue a class action in Utah if I had the right plaintiff.  I have not been damaged because the prior owner of my Husky put a Rekluse on it almost immediately.  My son was not the original purchaser so he is not the ideal plaintiff.  If there is someone out there who has had his slave blow up and lives in Utah get in touch with me.  What a joke and why KTM has not stepped up,to the plate is beyond me.  

23 minutes ago, avconnect said:

So I bought a 2006 KTM 450EXC for my son in the late spring of 2006. The prior owner had just paid a dealer to install a new clutch slave by Magura in March of 2017.  Worked fine but saw less than 200 miles as my son took it to college and used it to get around campus.   First big off-road ride and in the middle of nowhere this last April it blows out.  Only about 25 miles into the trip.  Fortunately we had a support vehicle so we loaded it into the truck and he spent the rest of the trip in air conditioned comfort.  

I had just bought a 2017 FE501 with 121 miles on it.  Prior owner installed a Rekluse so I am safe but I have the Magura slave sitting in the box along with my son’s blown slave.   Dealer would not do anything to help.  Indicated that their experience with rebuilding the Magura slaves is not good.  Put an Oberon on my son’s bike but I now own two Magura slaves.  Should I just rebuild them with Brembo parts?  If so, which ones?

i am proud to be an attorney and a proud Husky owner.  On my 3rd Husky/KTM bike.  These defective slaves have ruined trips, caused injuries and taken hard earned cash from our pockets along with our valuable time.  Magura and KTM USA deserve a lawsuit.  I would be willing to pursue a class action in Utah if I had the right plaintiff.  I have not been damaged because the prior owner of my Husky put a Rekluse on it almost immediately.  My son was not the original purchaser so he is not the ideal plaintiff.  If there is someone out there who has had his slave blow up and lives in Utah get in touch with me.  What a joke and why KTM has not stepped up,to the plate is beyond me.  

Talk about a joke.... you win that competition.

How many posts were deleted the last time we went through this "happy to sue" stuff (as this post is probably going to be deleted too)?

• Like 1

Didn't know ghost shifting was an issue on this bike. I guess my blaming the clutch slave was misplaced.
But what have you guys found to be the issue or a fix for the bike shifting itself out of neutral?

IDK about any lawsuit, but I do wish KTM and Magura would own up to the slave issues. Would have saved us all some money on Brembo or Oberon parts.

7 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Didn't know ghost shifting was an issue on this bike. I guess my blaming the clutch slave was misplaced.
But what have you guys found to be the issue or a fix for the bike shifting itself out of neutral?

I have NEVER heard of any vehicle "ghost shifting" from neutral into gear. I guess I would stop short of saying it's impossible, but I have my doubts.

My honest opinion is that as hard as these bikes are to get into neutral, you somehow got it half way between neutral and a gear, somehow it seemed like it was in neutral, but as the engine ran the vibrations knocked it off the in-gear side of the "fence".

I just really can't fathom how it would shift itself from TRUE neutral into a gear. You could pull the clutch slave and master completely off the bike and it wouldn't do that.