I need help!

So my friend is selling a 2008 crf450r, I'm thinking about buying it but I'm not sure what to look for (like bad things) I'm new to racing bikes so I don't know much. One thing I did notice (it had farm fuel in it aka dyed gas not premium) that when I held it about 3/4 open throttle it started to sputter, I'm not sure if it's the fuel or something else. Can someone please tell me what to look for and tell me if it's just the fuel or not. I should also mention I have rode dirtbikes since I was 8 so I'm not a beginner, I just have branched off to the faster bikes

Edited by Connor Falt

A CR450R is not a beginners bike. Like deciding to take pilots lessons and the plane is a fighter jet. You will hurl.

Tell them to let you know when the bike runs right. Then when you come again to check it out, be sure the engine is cold to the touch. You start it and ride it.

No such thing as 'farm fuel' other than no sales taxes paid on it.

Yes there is such thing as farms fuel, it's called dyed gas. And I have rode a yz250 before so I'm not a beginner at riding bikes, I'm a beginner to buying used bikes. 

Used bike, weird gas....unknown time on engine...doesn't run right. The only way Id bite that off would be if it was like $700-800 bucks. And I fix these things with regularity. For someone that doesn't...$400, because you'll need help.

Yes there is such thing as farms fuel, it's called dyed gas. And I have rode a yz250 before so I'm not a beginner at riding bikes, I'm a beginner to buying used bikes. 

You're a beginner for sure, We can tell by how you talk. Riding a bike once or twice does not make you a expert. You said your new to race bikes, A YZ250 is a race bike.

old regular can cause the sputter and I agree with Shawn, I would tell them put in fresh premium and call you when its running good.

Its simple don't buy old junk,unless you love a having a project to work on. 10 year old 4 stroke race bike nothing but trouble , I bet it needs everything or soon will. So save your money and get as new and  low hrs. as possible.  

On 6/25/2017 at 3:57 PM, ramjetV8 said:

old regular can cause the sputter and I agree with Shawn, I would tell them put in fresh premium and call you when its running good.

The sputtering can be iron debris on the stator pick up wire connections. No biggie, right? just wipe it off.....Uhhh..why is there iron debris in the engine? Because the left side main bearing cage is wearing out and its going to need a main bearing at the very least, very soon, that's why...and because you don't really know anything about it, other than it doesn't run correctly..steer clear of that thing like it had Ebola.