"Blown" fork seals

Ok guys, for years I've heard guys refer to leaky forks as blown forks when to me I've always just laughed it off and said yeah their leaking. Well yesterday  I was riding at the track and had a major flat land in talking suspension bottomed, frame dragging dirt flying flat land. I shook it off and rode on. I rode about 45 minutes of ride time after the flat land and everything ride good. Loaded up and come home. Get home and realised my fork socks are drenched in oil. I rolled them up, popped the wiper seal out and both forks were literally pouring oil out. Both seals and snap rings are still in place. I should add I change my fork oil and seals every winter and these have about 10 hours on them. Is it possible  I've just "blown" these seals or do I have other issues. Jumped up and down on it today and other than oil everything felt normal 

Try running a 35mm film negative* between the seal and fork slider. If that doesn't fix it. Take it apart and inspect the seals, bushings (inside & out) and replace as needed. Make sure to inspect the chrome sliders for nicks as well.

* they make a tool for this but I don't recall the name.

I've got a homemade seal mate I've used for years. It's treated me well in the past but I honestly believe this issue is beyond the seal mate. With the amount of oil I'm getting it would have to have a boulder in each seal lol. It's free to try tho. In 2 days of setting in the garage I bet I've lost half the oil in each fork. I ended up parking 2 coffee cans under them. My only option is to pull apart and inspect just never seen anything like this and was worried about possibly having bent fork tubrs

• Like 1

There are two things that cause seals to leak. One is dirt, fouling the sealing edge. Thats what those seal mates fix for you. The other is worn out fork bushings. When the bushings get worn out, the fork tubes arent driving straight up and down. They're wiggling around, the seal cant chase the tubes to seal, they begin to leak. Its not unheard of to flex the hell out of the tubes, the seal tries to chase, but it cant, but picks up dirt. Leak.

Pull the fork. Pull the seals, put the tubes back together without the seals and try to wiggle the inner tube inside the upper. Do it at the top of the stroke, Thats where the bushings are closest together. There is no "spec" for this, but if it feels like a lot, it probably is and you need to replace the bushings.

• Like 2