What bike to choose?!? 300lb 6'3 guy with some experience

Hey guys I'm a big guy at 6'3 at 300lbs.. I'm looking into a daily driver bike that can handle some dirt. I would like to have a bike that could do some decent single trails with a riding buddy (not 2up) but I probably will mostly be on atv trails alone. I haven't ridden for about 10 years, which the last bike i rode was a cr250. The driving is probably going to be 90/10 or 80/20 for now. I want a bike that is pretty maintenance free but can be able to take trails along with a  rzr900 50". I've been thinking of either a wr250r, drz400, dr650, or an xr650. What do you guys think? I'm looking at not spending a fortune for a new bike and I am looking for something used as my first bike. I live in southeast Idaho in Pocatello so my riding adventures are going to be around that area if that helps!

Edited by Oakleyguy89

22 minutes ago, Oakleyguy89 said:

Do you guys think the 650cc might be too much since it's been a long while since I've ridden?

Nah, it's a tame bike. I'd say a DR650 is the perfect bike for you if you're 80-90% street. Probably will need suspension work if you end up getting more serious about playing in the dirt. XR is going to be more dirt worthy out of the box but not as good on the street, especially on longer/higher speed rides.

• Like 1

Find a good , clean ,used DRZ400S and add a Keihin FCR and 434 big bore. That's about an additional $700-800 on purchase price if you source a used carburetor. You may be able to find a bike that already has the modifications done. Either way, you'll have a bike with roughly the same horsepower as your old CR and it will run for 10's of thousands of miles with only oil and filter changes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Find a good , clean ,used DRZ400S and add a Keihin FCR and 434 big bore. That's about an additional $700-800 on purchase price if you source a used carburetor. You may be able to find a bike that already has the modifications done. Either way, you'll have a bike with roughly the same horsepower as your old CR and it will run for 10's of thousands of miles with only oil and filter changes.

All the decent drz's that I find in the classifieds are always taken in a heartbeat. I was about to get an '02 drz400e that was already street legal and plated with only like 2k miles but the guy sold it from under me because I wasn't able to look at it until the weekend.

• Like 1

All the decent drz's that I find in the classifieds are always taken in a heartbeat. I was about to get an '02 drz400e that was already street legal and plated with only like 2k miles but the guy sold it from under me because I wasn't able to look at it until the weekend.

I bet, that would have been a great bike assuming the price was right.

Allot of people tend to hold onto their DRZ's. They don't wear out and the 2018 is mechanically the same as the 2003. You have to be ready to pounce if a good unit comes up for sale.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:13 PM, Oakleyguy89 said:

I came across this one but the miles seem high? https://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/6185457031.html

It does seem high for the year, but everything would depend on condition, maintenance, how it was ridden. The miles wouldn't particularly bother me. I would inquire when the big bore was done, and why.

I like the idea of a 650 for your needs.

Good luck in your search. :thumbsup:

I'm 6' and 275 lbs.  I just bought the DR650 and I couldn't be happier.  It has enough power to pull my fat butt around and still feels easily controllable.  One note, you will probably need to do some mods to this bike (suspension at the least) and that will cost from a few hundred to a little over a thousand depending on how good you want it.  There have been no real changes to the bike for 20 years, so any used one that looks clean enough for you should be fine.  I didn't really feel comfortable with the unknown of a used bike, so I bought new.  0% financing and it's no money out of pocket, so not a bad deal if you can afford the monthly payment.  Hope this helps and happy riding to you.

• Like 2

About the same size as you and bought an xr650r with some amazing upgrades on it. All I did was put on some super motto wheels and tires and now I have the best of both worlds. 

I would also recommend the dr650. My dad is a bigger fella and recently purchased his 2nd dr650 this year. He gave his first one to my brother after riding it for 20 years. Its very reliable and comfortable for him.

• Like 1

KTM 690 Enduro R or Husky 701 Enduro. But, I'm biased. Good for tall riders, rides lighter than the spec sheet lists, 67 and 74hp respectively, and good suspension out the box. My buddy rides the 701, he's 280ish and it moves him very, very well.

I also looked at these bikes however I went with the Dr because there was a lot of maintenance it seemed for the bikes suggested here.  Definitely more power and better suspension but costly.

3 minutes ago, Rhinothumper said:

I also looked at these bikes however I went with the Dr because there was a lot of maintenance it seemed for the bikes suggested here.  Definitely more power and better suspension but costly.

Definitely expensive. So far maintenance has been oil changes and an FI filter change at 640 miles. Since the bikes hold 1.8 quarts and use two oil filters, intervals are pretty long by typical dirt bike standards. So, not sure there is really a lot of maintenance, but b/c they are more complex, if someone goes wrong, it will be more money to fix than a DR, XR, or DRZ. But dude, oh so much fun to ride!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 0:22 AM, Oakleyguy89 said:

I'm not really planning on doing any long adventure rides with the bike or taking it over like 60mph

No need for a 650 then. Get a 250 that you can go play in the dirt with when the fancy takes you. If you are just running around town a 650 just means more gas and higher insurance and you can only ride off road in the gravel - forget any semblance of real dirt riding.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 10:34 AM, Rhinothumper said:

Old post but, huh? Both the 701 and 690 have 6000mi oil change intervals. Personally I would change the filter at 3k and top off the oil but most synthetic oil now a days is good for 10k. Doesn't really matter what you choose because you will be doing maintenance as a preventative issue well before factory says to change your oil. Sure the xr650r is recommended to change oil every 500 miles but that's 500 race miles. Literally race the baja 500 and change your oil. Very solid bike.