JD Kit - Keihin Carb

This just arrived and I am confused... Bike is Beta 300RR 2 Stroke. At stock jetting the bike runs a bit rich, good but rich. I only get 85km per 9.5 litres. If i lean it out a bit by putting the clip to slot 2, 100km per tank. But i get a bit of over run when I back off the throttle. So i guess at slot 2 a tad lean.

The JD kit jets suggested for my altitude is 38 pilot, 162 Main, Clip at slot 4.

Stock Jetting: Pilot 35, main 165, Needle Clip 3

I dont understand what the JD kit is gonna do with that jetting... Larger pilot and a smaller main jet.... 

Should I just put it in and see?

Followed your advice and replaced the jets and needle as per the instructions. It took about 30 minutes all up.

Red Needle, Slot 4. I put the air screw at 1 1/4 seemed a bit rich. Put Air Screw 1 1/2 turns, seems to be right.. 

Started her and it appears to be running nicely. Gonna go for a test ride Sunday and cant wait to see the result. 

You get a Powervalve mod/Shim in the Kit and so I will probably put that in too.

Followed your advice and replaced the jets and needle as per the instructions. It took about 30 minutes all up.
Red Needle, Slot 4. I put the air screw at 1 1/4 seemed a bit rich. Put Air Screw 1 1/2 turns, seems to be right.. 
Started her and it appears to be running nicely. Gonna go for a test ride Sunday and cant wait to see the result. 
You get a Powervalve mod/Shim in the Kit and so I will probably put that in too.

And his settings are really a starting point. You might make some fine running adjustments like 1/2 needle clip positions or a step in the main. Don't be afraid to experiment ?

On 23/06/2017 at 7:40 PM, Jabiru said:

. I put the air screw at 1 1/4 seemed a bit rich. Put Air Screw 1 1/2 turns, seems to be right

Don't just guess this setting 

search spanky's jetting guide and set it correctly 

Thanks kxrob I will have to check that guide out. I gave it a test run on Sunday, it was ok, had a few idling issues seemed smoother mid range.

Not sure if I like the JD kit compared to the stiock yet...

6 hours ago, Jabiru said:

Thanks kxrob I will have to check that guide out. I gave it a test run on Sunday, it was ok, had a few idling issues seemed smoother mid range.

Not sure if I like the JD kit compared to the stiock yet...

You will once you get it sorted. KX-Rob put me onto Suzuki needles and it made it a new bike.

What do you mean by idle issues mate?

What year bike is this? As the bushy pig ? mentioned, the Suzuki needles worked well in earlier model bikes. When I say earlier, I can only talk 2015 as I had a '15 300 XC-W and ran the Suzuki NECH needle. Bike ran great.

I have a OEM 36 PWK from a '15 300 coming this week to put on my '17 300 XC-W. Gonna go the Suzuki needle route as well ?

14 minutes ago, KennyMc said:

What year bike is this? As the bushy pig ? mentioned, the Suzuki needles worked well in earlier model bikes. When I say earlier, I can only talk 2015 as I had a '15 300 XC-W and ran the Suzuki NECH needle. Bike ran great.

I have a OEM 36 PWK from a '15 300 coming this week to put on my '17 300 XC-W. Gonna go the Suzuki needle route as well ?

As far as I am aware, all Beta 300RRs use Keihin carbs.

Have found Suzuki needle (NEDW) ran well in my 200EXC, I swapped it out for shits and giggles into my 150SX swapping it for a NOZI and it was instantly better off the idle and bottom, sputtery in the mid and top still though on light throttle...my friend was not able to get his 200EXC running well with it, however it is very old and we suspect other issues, not the needle. JD and Suzuki needles are popular in YZ250's and KX250s as well.

I see no reason it shouldnt work well in a PWK AS 300 RR, and I hear certain zook needles and the JD ones are very similar. 

As far as I am aware, all Beta 300RRs use Keihin carbs.
Have found Suzuki needle (NEDW) ran well in my 200EXC, I swapped it out for shits and giggles into my 150SX swapping it for a NOZI and it was instantly better off the idle and bottom, sputtery in the mid and top still though on light throttle...my friend was not able to get his 200EXC running well with it, however it is very old and we suspect other issues, not the needle. JD and Suzuki needles are popular in YZ250's and KX250s as well.
I see no reason it shouldnt work well in a PWK AS 300 RR, and I hear certain zook needles and the JD ones are very similar. 

Ah, gotcha on the Beta's. Yea, as far as the KTM's go, the 200/250's seem to be a different animal when it comes to jetting. They really seem to like a bit more rich settings than the 300's.

Since I'm not as familiar with the Beta's, I'll bow out and follow along and learn something ?

BushPig: its 2015 model. When the bike got hot, couple of hours into riding in a valley, slow and no wind, I noticed the idle had slowed down and for the first time ever stalled, of course on a big Hill.. 

I am in a semi desert climate. Altitude is 0 - 500ft. Our Temp range here is 15c to 24c in Winter. 24c to 40c in Summer. Is it better to run a bit richer or leaner in Cooler Weather?

I think I may need to tune it better with the Air Screw as per spankys guide. ?

With the JD kit, it definitely felt good in the Mid Range, smooth. I have no over run when backing off throttle either which is good. Checked the pipe and it looked sweet. Got a ride this Sunday on a Track which will give me a better gauge and can fine tune the carby a bit better.

A friend said I should leave the Stock Main jet?

14 hours ago, BushPig said:

You will once you get it sorted. KX-Rob put me onto Suzuki needles and it made it a new bike.

What do you mean by idle issues mate?

i now run the NEDJ needle in clip 2 on my kx and love it , just waiting for one for the ktm 200 now ( runs well with same jetting as my kx) , tried the NEDJ needle clip 2 on a mates 200 and its crisp except for a slight burble riding along at low revs and i put this down to the #6 slide ( looking for a #7 now )

Update on the JD kit.

Got a chance to give it a good test this weekend, rode about 30km to our local MX track and did some laps.

My fuel economy is alot better, I was getting 1 litre to 7km, I am now getting 1 litre to 12km.

I am guessing this has to due with reducing the main jet size.

The bike definitely feels smooth through mid range.

2 hours ago, Jabiru said:

Update on the JD kit.

Got a chance to give it a good test this weekend, rode about 30km to our local MX track and did some laps.

My fuel economy is alot better, I was getting 1 litre to 7km, I am now getting 1 litre to 12km.

I am guessing this has to due with reducing the main jet size.

The bike definitely feels smooth through mid range.

How's your idle now? did you make any changes to air screw, pilot?

Alot better now. I let the bike get hot and then made the adjustments as suggested as per spanky's jetting guide. 

Very happy with the result. When I get a chance I am hoping to pull the plug, the pipe end is a nice black.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jabiru said:

Alot better now. I let the bike get hot and then made the adjustments as suggested as per spanky's jetting guide. 

Very happy with the result. When I get a chance I am hoping to pull the plug, the pipe end is a nice black.

A small amount of jetting makes the biggest difference. I got so much more torque off the bottom, and it's smoother...

Win win.

• Like 1