Front Tyre sizes - Will a 120/90/17 fit?

Guys,

Needing to urgently change the tyres on my DRZ 400 SM pretty damn soon.

I did a search but can't seem to find anything conclusive.

Got Excel rims on currently with 150/70/17s and 120/70/17s Maxxis tyres.

Been wanting to go the 50/50 route with some Mitas E-07's or equivalent but can't seem to find (and don't think they even manufacture) a front in 120/70/17 size in the UK.

Looking at YouTube I saw a video of a guy running Heidinau K60 tires. 140/80-17 rear and 120/90-17 front.

I was going to go for a 150/70/17 rear as Mitas and Heidinau do this size but will a 120/90/17 fit on an Excel rim?

Nothing seems straightforward when it comes to tyres on a Dizzer!

Cheers!

What is the width of your rim? That determines whether a tire is the right fit or not.

2 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

What is the width of your rim? That determines whether a tire is the right fit or not.

Wish I could tell ya', I'll have to do a bit of investigating, when I bought the bike it came with the rims already on.

I know they are the Takasago Excel rim's and the tyre on at the moment is a 120/70/17.

Would a larger profile (90 instead of 70) make a difference on a standard SM tyre though as surely it would just affect the height of the tyre off of the rim and there's a fair bit of clearance to play with?

According to this, it would appear a 120/90 would work. In fact, I think this probably answers my question but I'm happy for further clarification!

I believe that Excel rims may be the standard rims for the 400SM after doing some digging too.

Edited by mattyvsmithy

If you have a 120 on there now and it isn't pinched, then the 120/90 will fit just fine. 

• Like 1

The 120/90 should be fine. You might want to check and make sure the Mitas sizes run true. If they run small you might want to bump up to a 130/80. I'm running a Kenda Big Block in 130/80-17.

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

@DirtyBoots Sounds great, I'll double check on that, I'm guessing as big a front as possible is best. How do you find the Kendas? There was someone on another thread running 130's at the front but as long as the 120/90's fit with minimal fuss I'd be happy with that. Wouldn't want to go for a 130 and find it's rubbing.

Cheers guys!
[mention=500241]DirtyBoots[/mention] Sounds great, I'll double check on that, I'm guessing as big a front as possible is best. How do you find the Kendas? There was someone on another thread running 130's at the front but as long as the 120/90's fit with minimal fuss I'd be happy with that. Wouldn't want to go for a 130 and find it's rubbing.

I don't think you'll have any rubbing issue with a 130 width.

The Kedas are fine. They maintain good road manners while getting you through most of anything you'll find off road accept maybe deep sloppy mud. The rear tyre isn't the best for getting you stopped, but it slides in a very predictable way so it has it's fun factor as long as you allow for it. 20170623_101650.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyvsmithy said:

Cheers guys!

@DirtyBoots Sounds great, I'll double check on that, I'm guessing as big a front as possible is best. How do you find the Kendas? There was someone on another thread running 130's at the front but as long as the 120/90's fit with minimal fuss I'd be happy with that. Wouldn't want to go for a 130 and find it's rubbing.

They look pretty good, plenty of clearance, the world is my oyster at the moment when it comes to tyres, I'm thinking a 50 50 would be a good choice but I mainly commute down A-roads so maybe the Kenda would be better. However, I'm thinking with something 50/50 I may be more inclined to throw it off-road on the way home. At the moment my rear is pretty much illegal and I'm only putting up with it because it's not payday until Monday haha!

Many thanks for the help!

• Like 1

The 120/90 is quite a bit taller than the 120/70. Width is the same. Should fit. Whether it works well you will habe to see.

• Like 1

Fits fine. I am running a shinko 705. In the 120/90 size. Makes the bike feel a little different. Doesn't look all that great. But it is cheap and it works.. the larger size also made the speedo spot on.