Maximum Outdoor riding temps

I've done a google search and was surprised not to get an answer to this question, what is the max outdoor temp for air cooled motorcycles?

I live in Arizona and we've had, and will continue to have, multiple days of over 110F. I was curious to learn what the higher end of the temperature range was for my XR600. Perhaps there is no limit, hence no answer. I wouldn't be out at 4PM on a 120F day anyway. But is 110F ok?

Out on a trail I'm not at a constant high speed. The bike is working hard handling hills and washes. Then again, these bikes were built to handle the Mexican Baja. I'd likely overheat before the bike.

Does anyone know the max outdoor operating temp for an XR.

Thank you

nope,,no idea...but I bet you crap out before the bike..:lol:

I`d watch oil temperature myself,,i consider 300 degrees pushing your luck on these bikes,,they can overheat the head and drop valve seats..

B

• Like 2

What he said.
The real engineering answer to the question involves too many parameters to type.
Have to run some analysis for you to properly answer.

Oh, so short answer is keep riding no matter what the weather....

I have hit 300F oil dipstick temp doing a bunch of steep sand hillclimbs, 250F pretty normal on slow trails in 80F. If you are hitting 300F with 'normal' riding I'd say at least for the heat wave go full synthetic! That'll protect everything except the potential for a dropped seat. I think even very hot, near or at 300F oil temps, if you aren't putting a lot of load on the engine the head temp on the inside won't be that much higher than riding hard at 90F.

Ive ridden hard in 126 in Ocotillo Wells. In AZ, 114 at four peaks...in a completely stock xr600r... how I think is...how goodsyour oil? Unless you can see molecules...the miniscule amount of oil is getting dumped and refreshed with the good ish...

After doing race prep, and they power washed their bikes, and chains washed and lubed, oil and air filter change after EACH race...I definitely dump and refresh more often.