17 300 rr head leaking?

So im slightly concerned with this

ike seems to be running fine but came back from a super dusty ride last week and noticed that a bunch of the dirt stuck to the cyclinder just below the head and made a dark ring of slightly sticky dirt????????

How is the cylinder head leaking? I dunno if it is or not but its pretty concerning . 

Ill try to post some pics in about an hour

There been a lot of reported o ring failure, my 250 is doing it, cgecj to see if your coolant system is pressurising, check it a couple of hours after riding

My 17' has this problem too.. The radiators stay pressurized way after a ride.  If i open the cap days later, pressure hisses and coolant splashes out.  Going to be swapping these out this week for the KTM o-rings (based on recommendations)..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NW_drZ said:

My 17' has this problem too.. The radiators stay pressurized way after a ride.  If i open the cap days later, pressure hisses and coolant splashes out.  Going to be swapping these out this week for the KTM o-rings (based on recommendations)..

I don't think that is necessarily a result of a bad head gasket as all bikes have pressure build-up when shut off hot.  My 390 RR-S thumper does the same thing, and I believe it is a result of the radiator cap being on the left side of the bike (which is unusual) and possibly too much coolant, so when the bike is stored leaning on the kick stand, there is no air gap in the radiator cap side, and nowhere for the pressure to bleed out (usually by way of the cap gasket).  I have had my bike for a couple of months, and normally it is stored by way of a vertical wheel chock type stand, and when done that way there is no long-term pressure issue.  Only when I store it with the kickstand do I see that issue.  My bike also came with a bit too much coolant; if you reduce the coolant to the level where it won't seal off the radiator air chamber when leaning on a kick stand, your problem may resolve itself.

• Like 3

You need to replace your head orings. Very common, the stock orings are ether made bad or are just an incompatible type. 15 minutes to replace and resolve the issue.

Here's a video if you're worried about doing it yourself:

• Like 1

Thanks guys, really appreciate this

Just bought my wife a 2017 cross trainer?

Should do this on her bike also?

Does beta have an updated part for it?

What part should i replace it with? Supplier recommendation? 

24 minutes ago, automagp68 said:

Thanks guys, really appreciate this

Just bought my wife a 2017 cross trainer?

Should do this on her bike also?

Does beta have an updated part for it?

What part should i replace it with? Supplier recommendation? 

The common consensus is to use KTM head o-rings

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OscarFox said:

The common consensus is to use KTM head o-rings

and beta is not covering this under their 6 month warranty that they love to talk up?

Brand new bike with 20 hours on it and i have to spend money and take my engine apart?

If there was ever a talking point for the KTM fan boys that would be a big one

3 minutes ago, automagp68 said:

and beta is not covering this under their 6 month warranty that they love to talk up?

Brand new bike with 20 hours on it and i have to spend money and take my engine apart?

If there was ever a talking point for the KTM fan boys that would be a big one

Didn't realize we were still talking about warranty timeframe.

22 minutes ago, OscarFox said:

Didn't realize we were still talking about warranty timeframe.

yea i mean technically im out but by like a week

I dont know if this is my issue or now

They way to tell is? 

Is this the sound everyone talks about the bike making when it cools down

When the bike makes a gurggling sound?

2 hours ago, automagp68 said:

yea i mean technically im out but by like a week

I dont know if this is my issue or now

They way to tell is? 

Is this the sound everyone talks about the bike making when it cools down

When the bike makes a gurggling sound?

The way to tell is simple.... Spend $7 bucks on the o-rings, grab a cold beer, remove the tank and head cover, put the new rings in, put the head and tank back on, fire her up, go for a ride, let her cool down and crack open that radiator cap for your answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

The way to tell is simple.... Spend $7 bucks on the o-rings, grab a cold beer, remove the tank and head cover, put the new rings in, put the head and tank back on, fire her up, go for a ride, let her cool down and crack open that radiator cap for your answer.

tuff to tell if you possibly spew a little from over flow tube from hot and slow riding