Shawn-MC help crank sea lips folding in

New seal set square with 609 so now I put tiny it of grease on the lips and tried to set the collar/gear but the seal ip wants to roll in and the spring pops off.  Doesn't look like it hurt the seal as I stopped before it was all way in.  It had a slight crease where it rolled that seems to be going back to normal.  Spring is back on but I have not got it back on.  I am trying to twist the gear a little as I go but also it has to mesh with the balancer gear so is this normal.  Any suggestions, does this ever happen to you?  should have I left the lips dry?  Maybe the guy who said put the seal on the collar then drive the seal into the boss was onto something?

After further inspection the seal is damaged where it rolled. Good thing I bought two.

I put it metal side in rubber side with numbers out. Turns out rubber side is deeper groove and seal lip is not as far out as seal edge. When i had it other way metal side in seal lip was touching inner bearing race so now I'm thinking rubber side in. Not sure how to keep seal lip from folding again

I dug up my rebuild video from DIY.com (same one I used to rebuild it last year with old style seal) and found an update note that the right crank seal has been updated and the rubber side with numbers goes to the inside, the metal copper plate looking side goes to the outside.  Should have looked sooner might have saved one seal LOL...  So this time I put little grease on seal lips like before but I put it on the gear collar and let it set for hour or so.  Then made sure outside was still degreased and the case was degreased. Put the 609 in the case sparingly, coated outside of seal slipped seal off the collar and drove it into the case square.  Then within about 10-15 seconds I slid the gear collar on twisting it a little back and forth as it passed the lips, went right on seal looks good, no folded lips, spring in place.  All three dots lined up...

Did pre-stretching it help?  Putting it in the correct direction surely did.  Anyway its in thanks to all and hopefully everyone learned a little, I know I did, even if your sick of me LOL.  Hopefully this issue will not be back anytime soon.

Edited by ramjetV8