Rust Magazine- Beta Edition

Wow what a great bunch of reporting. The tester rode every bike, the details and illustrations are more than I have seen elsewhere, and the photos are brilliant!

A particularly interesting lead off to the 480 test:

" So here's where the narrative goes even weirder. For the 480 felt to wear its power more comfortably than the RR430. If I were to go big-bore racing, based on this test experience, I'd pick this over the RR430.

Reason being there's a sense the RR480 is more about torque than rev, while the (assumed) greater engine braking on the RR480 makes it easier to slow-down before the corners. Accelerating and decelerating, it felt to have a better grip on the terrain than the sometimes furious, scabbling RR430. And that extra power meant you could be a touch lazier- leave it in third and let that torque push the 140/80/18 firmly into the ground. It felt "engaged" whether trying to find grip on a dusty slippery off-camber downhill corner or powering out of a long uphill rut. Yet it didn't monster me, there's a sense it's a bear of a bike, but it's a big friendly bear."

Do yourself a favor and read the ride reports on the different models, it is one of the best answers to the most common questions we get on this forum over and over, "which model is best?"

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 2

Good write up.   So much want!!! 

Dropped just over 10lbs on all the 2 strokes! That's huge.   250/300rr listed at 104kgs or 229lbs 

I hope i am in a position to snag a new bike next year, thinking real hard about an '18 Beta 300 

On page 51 is a photo of the 480 from underneath and behind where you get a good view of the new rear airbox area. It appears the toolkit holder area is gone (of course since it was covered by the number plate). The mudguard is changed (no more rubbing) and the airbox area is supposed to be slimmer which would likely require new side panels but they look the same.

Edited by Johnny Depp

22 minutes ago, wwguy said:

Hmmm... No mention at all of the Xtrainer.

They probably decided to discontinue their best seller. Full Sarcasm Alert!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

On page 51 is a photo of the 480 from underneath and behind where you get a good view of the new rear airbox area. It appears the toolkit holder area is gone (of course since it was covered by the number plate). The mudguard is changed (no more rubbing) and the airbox area is supposed to be slimmer which would likely require new side panels but they look the same.

pg 49, that is a different side panel, the bolt holes are not as deep and it has a different contour. My compression adjuster knob already rubs my knee and rubs the color off the knob, it will be worse now most likely but appears to be slimmer.

• Like 1

I love how Beta has gone to white plastics.  I was not a fan of the red plastics with the red/orange decals at all.  The new graphics are also much easier on the eyes, way less busy and simple.  Simple is good.  The swoopiness of the graphics before looked awful and I'm so grateful I got the 2016 RS graphics as opposed to the 2017 RR-S graphics.  Thankfully they were out of the 2017 RR-S graphics this past January/February when my bike was almost complete.   

The improvements to the 18's look awesome.  A small part of me wishes I had an 18 now that they have done some nice upgrades to the clutch along with all the other changes.  Beta sure is doing a great job with their bikes/lineup.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S