Regulator/Rectifier?

I have a question, my R/R shows in both directions about 500 om? Y1, Y2, Y3 to red and black to Y1, Y2, Y3 the same result . Is this normal? THX

The battery is new, I had only had 13.3V on it :( (Engine running). I did free power mode and now i have 14.2V ;) 

Edited by Patak

You don't really check the R/R with an ohm meter, just the stator and pickup's. If it's charging 14.2v your all good. Free power mod. for the WIN !!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bucket list said:

You don't really check the R/R with an ohm meter, just the stator and pickup's. If it's charging 14.2v your all good. Free power mod. for the WIN !!!!

What's the harm in the Free Power Mod? It's bypassing a lot of stuff.

5 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

What's the harm in the Free Power Mod? It's bypassing a lot of stuff.

What's the harm in it?  There is no down side to doing the free power mod. Your just eliminating that long path that that charging current takes, with all it's associated connectors before it gets to the battery. The free power mod. just shunts the current directly to the battery, lessining the amount of voltage drop on the way to the battery.

• Like 1

The FPM helped my battery recover in a fraction of the time from repeated starts required from picking the wife's bike off her.....usually in the middle of a creek. So, in a sense, it saved me from divorce!

Edited by shuswap1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bucket list said:

OK, free power mode It helps a lot :)! 

But how to test your own R/R? I was guided by this video...You seen my measurement results...

Edited by Patak
  • Like 1

What brand/model is your meter?

Did you have it on diode test?

Edited by wielywilly-g

7 hours ago, Patak said:

OK, free power mode It helps a lot :)! 

But how to test your own R/R? I was guided by this video...You seen my measurement results...

Definitely need resistance through the R/R; no opens, no shorts.

my electrical system works great configured just like Denso of Japan designed and built it. :thumbsup:

If your charging at 14.2v , those ohm readings your getting are bogus. You need a diode check feature on your meter and even that is not the best way to test a R/R. The charging circuit can operate between 5 and 13 amps, a fair amount of current, producing some good heat. A multimeter produces miliamps to test the circuit, can't accurately  test a circuit that flows hundreds if not thousands of time more current. Yes it may show a good one at the time, but much more accurate testing it while the system is working. I know everyone doesn't have a digital oscilloscope with amp clamp on them, but that's the best way of seeing how the R/R is working. If any of those diodes were not working, you wouldn't get close to 14v charging.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Wow, I wonder how that works,  you need a low amps probe to go with that and a bit of training to know what a good pattern is and what to look for in a bad pattern. 

I may look into one of those when I retire soon and can't use the shops any more.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucket list said:

Wow, I wonder how that works,  you need a low amps probe to go with that and a bit of training to know what a good pattern is and what to look for in a bad pattern. 

I may look into one of those when I retire soon and can't use the shops any more.:thumbsup:

Can't be that tricky. Knowing what you're looking for is half the battle. :)

The Application Examples chapter includes examples of a wide variety of measurements to give you ideas on how to solve your

own measurement problems

https://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece4760/equipment/TEKtds1002.pdf

Edited by Bermudacat