I was wondering what trail bike I should buy, ive been looking at the ttr230 and the crf230f but they seem a bit small as I'm 6'1 and most people will say they are too small, what other options do I have for bikes that are reliable and that don't need a lot of maintinence like these two?

I was wondering what trail bike I should buy, ive been looking at the ttr230 and the crf230f but they seem a bit small as I'm 6'1 and most people will say they are too small, what other options do I have for bikes that are reliable and that don't need a lot of maintinence like these two?

I'm 5'8" with a crf230f and can basically flat foot it, so I would say you're a little tall for it. I'm not sure what size you're looking for but I've read the 300s are pretty tall, but that's just what I've read I own a 150 which is a little tall for me and then the 230 I talked about earlier.

Yeah you'd probably be pretty cramped on a 230.  They're not as reliable or maintenance free as the 230s but a CRF250X or WR250F are full sized bikes that are relatively mild from the factory.  The WR250F can be uncorked to get more power when you are ready.

Doc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

Yeah you'd probably be pretty cramped on a 230.  They're not as reliable or maintenance free as the 230s but a CRF250X or WR250F are full sized bikes that are relatively mild from the factory.  The WR250F can be uncorked to get more power when you are ready.

Doc

Do you know how much maintinence they need? I'm asking bc I'm 16 and have to pay for everything myself, so I can't spend a ton on maintinence alone as I need gear and everything else, thanks again.

1 hour ago, YungCharmander said:

Do you know how much maintinence they need? I'm asking bc I'm 16 and have to pay for everything myself, so I can't spend a ton on maintinence alone as I need gear and everything else, thanks again.

In that case you might want to sit on a 230 and see if you can live with it.  You can look up the manuals online to see the maintenance schedules.  I don't know them as I don't own either of the bikes but I bet the 230 has something like 1,500 or 3,000 mile oil change intervals while the CRF250X and WR250F have something like 15 hour oil change intervals.  Likewise checking the valve clearance is probably like every 6,000 or 12,000 miles in the 230 and every 30 hours on the CFR250X / WR250F.  The 230 will probably never need a piston whereas the CRF250X / WR350F are probably scheduled for one at something like 100 hours.  Those are just my guesses from my experience with similar bikes like my nieces CRF150F and my KTM 350 XCF-W.  Check the manuals out to get the actual service intervals but my estimates are probably close.

The other thing is bikes like the CRF230 are really easy to work on and parts are cheap.  My niece got a used CRF150F and I stripped it down to go over everything.  They are just really easy to work on.  Even adjusting the valves was cake because they don't use shims.

Doc

I'll look in my service manual for intervals for valve clearances, I can second the parts for the honda being super cheap and easy to work on. I personally change the oil after every time I ride, but I ride in sandy conditions (good ole northern mi). Another thing that doc didn't point out on the honda is you can find a service manual (what the techs use at dealerships) for right around 20 bucks which is really nice to have.

Another thing I should've stated is when I bought my 230 I changed the oil, rejetted, might have put a new air filter in, and put gas in it and it was good to go. Obviously this isn't the case for all 230s but it was nice to only have to simple things to get me riding

12 hours ago, Doc_d said:

In that case you might want to sit on a 230 and see if you can live with it.  You can look up the manuals online to see the maintenance schedules.  I don't know them as I don't own either of the bikes but I bet the 230 has something like 1,500 or 3,000 mile oil change intervals while the CRF250X and WR250F have something like 15 hour oil change intervals.  Likewise checking the valve clearance is probably like every 6,000 or 12,000 miles in the 230 and every 30 hours on the CFR250X / WR250F.  The 230 will probably never need a piston whereas the CRF250X / WR350F are probably scheduled for one at something like 100 hours.  Those are just my guesses from my experience with similar bikes like my nieces CRF150F and my KTM 350 XCF-W.  Check the manuals out to get the actual service intervals but my estimates are probably close.

The other thing is bikes like the CRF230 are really easy to work on and parts are cheap.  My niece got a used CRF150F and I stripped it down to go over everything.  They are just really easy to work on.  Even adjusting the valves was cake because they don't use shims.

Doc

Thanks for all the help but I have 1 more question, I found a almost new Suzuki drz400 and was wondering if one of those would be more my size?

12 hours ago, YungCharmander said:

Thanks for all the help but I have 1 more question, I found a almost new Suzuki drz400 and was wondering if one of those would be more my size?

DRZ400 is a great dual sport bike.  I'm actually in the market for one myself right now.  But they aren't great enduro only bikes.   They are relatively heavy, fairly low powered, etc.. But where they shine is they go 3,000 between oil changes and 30,000+ miles before needing any internal engine work.  My KTM 350 has a plate but a I don't run it around on the back roads very much here because the KTM is a race bike.  It requires 15 hour oil changes and. A piston after 45 hours. 

I think the DRZ400 would probably be better than a 230 because it's simply a larger bike.  if you wanted to do some street, some dirt roads, some fire roads, and some easy single track it's a perfect low maintenance bulletproof machine. But if you get into riding serious off-road stuff you'd probably be better served with something like a WR250F or CRF250x if you can afford the upkeep.

Doc

P.S.  Did I mention I really want a DRZ400 myself?  

I just picked up a crf250x, I'm 15 maintenance is not that bad, did my first oil change and used about a liter of oil cost was $13. I also pay for everything myself. If you are an experienced rider then the 250x will be good for you. If you have not ridden before I would buy a 230.

16 hours ago, Doc_d said:

DRZ400 is a great dual sport bike.  I'm actually in the market for one myself right now.  But they aren't great enduro only bikes.   They are relatively heavy, fairly low powered, etc.. But where they shine is they go 3,000 between oil changes and 30,000+ miles before needing any internal engine work.  My KTM 350 has a plate but a I don't run it around on the back roads very much here because the KTM is a race bike.  It requires 15 hour oil changes and. A piston after 45 hours. 

I think the DRZ400 would probably be better than a 230 because it's simply a larger bike.  if you wanted to do some street, some dirt roads, some fire roads, and some easy single track it's a perfect low maintenance bulletproof machine. But if you get into riding serious off-road stuff you'd probably be better served with something like a WR250F or CRF250x if you can afford the upkeep.

Doc

P.S.  Did I mention I really want a DRZ400 myself?  

Believe it or not just bought my drz400, the non road legal model with no electric start, just a kick, hopefully I can give it a little rip through the neighborhood with nobody caring!

• Like 2

Believe it or not just bought my drz400, the non road legal model with no electric start, just a kick, hopefully I can give it a little rip through the neighborhood with nobody caring!

Congrats! Be safe, wear your protective gear and rip on!