Steve Holcolmbe interview Beta

Thanks HDR, that is a way better interview than the audio only different interview I posted earlier. I'm not sure who was asking the questions but he was spot on. The responses were so frank and un-guarded, not at all what I expected or am used to with riders. Steve pronounces "Beeta" rather than "Bayta" as I am used to. He also pronounces Sachs as "Sosh" rather than" Saks". Most teams would never allow there riders to be so blunt about the bike. I know most forum members are less interested and may not take the 14 minutes to listen to the interview, that is their loss. If I have time it would be nice to make a cliff notes version of what he said. Very Revealing!

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Thanks HDR, that is a way better interview than the audio only different interview I posted earlier. I'm not sure who was asking the questions but he was spot on. The responses were so frank and un-guarded, not at all what I expected or am used to with riders. Steve pronounces "Beeta" rather than "Bayta" as I am used to. Most teams would never allow there riders to be so blunt about the bike. I know most forum members are less interested and may not take the 14 minutes to listen to the interview, that is there loss. If I have time it would be nice to make a cliff notes version of what he said. Very Revealing!

What is sort of verified to me is that a stock Beta rr is not far from his world championship bike.. even that he has the stock fork . The other video of the welsh enduro I think it was sort of had a similar description of the bike.. it was basicly stock with some light wheels put on and his suspension was tuned for him.. The motor seems cleaned up but not far very far from stock. It just seems simple. He and the team work hard and just get the right settings and he trains.. he stays in shape.. eats well. He works hard and just races. He's leading in points too right now.. He's humble but confident and seems like a nice guy...and He's a current world champion.. Nice guerilla video interview. It's like he just got his phone out and started attacking with the questions.. and good questions too. The interviewer got in and got out with no fooling around and going straight for the meat. As far as some watching this vid or not.. That's ok.. watch .. don't watch.. It's up to who want's to see. I got good info for me and I'll share what I can just in case others want to see.. I think you and I like looking at stuff like this.. some others do too.. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

* Stock components and internals on Sachs front and rear other than valving to suit him

* He believes he would prefer the 390 over the 430 if he had to choose a 4t although he hasn't ridden the new ones yet

*The '18 engine is based off of his race bike, R&D does the engines and he doesn't know the specifics but it is essentially stock,  and has never seen a dyno, torque is key for him, linear,   runs 14/49 and can pull it because he has a bit more power

* The new frame is a lot more agile in changing direction and a lot more control, he feels the less weight in braking and turning

* Strong parts are many, Engine, new frame and plastics

* Bad parts, it's been a few years since it's been redesigned, It's good that they changed the back but..

15 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

* Stock components and internals on Sachs front and rear other than valving to suit him

* He believes he would prefer the 390 over the 430 if he had to choose a 4t although he hasn't ridden the new ones yet

*The '18 engine is based off of his race bike, R&D does the engines and he doesn't know the specifics but it is essentially stock,  and has never seen a dyno, torque is key for him, linear,   runs 14/49 and can pull it because he has a bit more power

* The new frame is a lot more agile in changing direction and a lot more control, he feels the less weight in braking and turning

* Strong parts are many, Engine, new frame and plastics

* Bad parts, it's been a few years since it's been redesigned, It's good that they changed the back but..

Honestly I don't think the bad parts matter or that those are bad parts.. even the "strong" parts.  I know for example the difference with my 13' 300rr and my 15 300rr.. it's refinement. My 15 300rr is what the 14' race edition 300 is with upgraded motor .. It' is different than my 13' but not a huge difference.. we will see but I'm not feeling that the 18 is a huge jump from the 17 300rr.. we will see though. To me that's great info.. upgrades.. refinement on an already excellent bike.

very interesting that the frame has changed. (i noticed) no mention of that in the press releases. this is the biggest factor.

and suspension fiddlers take note... get your suspension setting and then leave it alone, like ive always said. a click or two when the terrain is completely diff is all thats needed. eg. from trailriding woods to open sandy race

Edited by livefivetwofive