Jump to content

Knee braces along with boots - restricted mobility

Recommended Posts

Just got back into offloading after about 10 years. Back then I had Asterisk Cell's and Thor boots. Got the knee braces after tearing my ACL. Orthopedic told me to do the surgery and see him in 20 yrs for knee replacement. I asked him what if I didn't want the surgery - he turned me on to the Asterisks. Anyway, I could use this boot/knee brace combination and I could hit the controls (shifter/rear brake) with no problems. This on a KTM 450EXC.  However, I did find I could still tweet my knee stabbing my foot, or if the bike fell on top of my leg in a fall over.

Anyway - fast forward 10 years. Just bought a 17 Husky FE501 - very similar size/configuration to my KTM. Bought Fox Comp 5 boots and Leatt C-Frame knee braces. When I gear up, the braces and boots are so locked together, I cannot seem to swing the toe end of the boots in close enough to hit the shifter and brake pedal. Seems the only pivot I have is at my hips. So standing, OK. Sitting, problem . . . The good news is the combination seems to provide a lot of support to my knees, and I don't think I would hyperextend in a mild crash like could happen with the Asterisks.   Problem is, if I can't hit the rear brake pedal, I'm probably gonna get to test them!

Has anyone else experienced this? Before I return anything, wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to resolve this?  Simple adjustment?

Many thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have alpinestars and leat pro C braces. Had to adjust them but they haven't hurt my foot control for either. I before spent time setting them up they were very uncomfortable now I forget they are on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FITZI6_7 said:

I have alpinestars and leat pro C braces. Had to adjust them but they haven't hurt my foot control for either. I before spent time setting them up they were very uncomfortable now I forget they are on

I there a key to possibly either donning them or adjusting them that would help toes to point more inward?  I just didn't remember having to think about these with the Asterisks.  But maybe that is actually a weakness in the Asterisks, as they did't seem to provide as much support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have got a hex key in the box. The frame on your thigh will work in and out. There's a video out there that talks about fitment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2017 at 9:39 PM, FITZI6_7 said:

You should have got a hex key in the box. The frame on your thigh will work in and out. There's a video out there that talks about fitment.

Went back and adjusted them.  Left the allen screws loose.  Put the braces on, first strap tightened below knee, second just above knee, third at calf, fourth at thigh.  Put boots on and intentionally pointed my toes more inward before buckling.  Then squeezed and tightened the allen screws.  Rode about 40 miles offroad and they worked great - good support, but also comfortable enough.  Thanks for the responses.  I had already called the vendor and gotten an RMA on the braces.  Called back and cancelled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you shift without the braces?  I have a pair of Alpinestars that I use for riding trials.  I bought a pair of Fox Comp 5 boots for riding trails.  The Fox Comp 5s simply will not break in.  If I didn't also have a pair of Aplinestars that I wear back to back every week I might not have known any better.  But wearing the Fox Comp 5s is like wearing a steel boot.  I cannot shift with my ankle at all but rather have to lift my entire foot with my leg.  I guess that's why good boots like Alpinestars, Gaerne and Sidi's cost 2-3 times what Fox comp 5's cost.

Doc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lifted my shift lever one tooth because of the thickness of the boots, but have no problem shifting with the boots.  You're right, however, those Fox Comp 5's are stiff, but maybe I don't know any better - I've always had to shift with my entire lower leg when wearing boots on my dirt bikes.  I wear a shorter boot or shoes with my Super Tenere, and definitely just shift with my ankle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Can you shift without the braces?  I have a pair of Alpinestars that I use for riding trials.  I bought a pair of Fox Comp 5 boots for riding trails.  The Fox Comp 5s simply will not break in.  If I didn't also have a pair of Aplinestars that I wear back to back every week I might not have known any better.  But wearing the Fox Comp 5s is like wearing a steel boot.  I cannot shift with my ankle at all but rather have to lift my entire foot with my leg.  I guess that's why good boots like Alpinestars, Gaerne and Sidi's cost 2-3 times what Fox comp 5's cost.

Doc

That's interesting you say that. I bought a pair of the fox comp 5s for my 10 year old son and he shifts the same way. I keep hounding him to keep his foot on the peg and rock the foot. With him being a small framed 10year old, I guess I need to go easier on him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Torrac said:

That's interesting you say that. I bought a pair of the fox comp 5s for my 10 year old son and he shifts the same way. I keep hounding him to keep his foot on the peg and rock the foot. With him being a small framed 10year old, I guess I need to go easier on him. 

Yeah I'm sure he's doing that because the Comp 5s are so stiff and never seem to break in.  It's a shame because I really like them otherwise.  I think I'm going to soak them in a bucket of water for a couple hours and then maybe put them on wet and try to flex the heck out of them and see if I can get them to be any better.

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doc_d said:

Yeah I'm sure he's doing that because the Comp 5s are so stiff and never seem to break in.  It's a shame because I really like them otherwise.  I think I'm going to soak them in a bucket of water for a couple hours and then maybe put them on wet and try to flex the heck out of them and see if I can get them to be any better.

Doc

It does seem for sake of the ankle that they should be extremely stiff. I have the alpine tech 5 and I guess I don't much pay attention, I just shift. I have noticed I can't keep me brake foot as close to the pedal as I would like.  I feel like I have to pick my foot up and turn it to hit it. I wear the evo web pro braces, but I had the same problem before those. I might slide my pedal out a few mm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Torrac said:

It does seem for sake of the ankle that they should be extremely stiff. I have the alpine tech 5 and I guess I don't much pay attention, I just shift. I have noticed I can't keep me brake foot as close to the pedal as I would like.  I feel like I have to pick my foot up and turn it to hit it. I wear the evo web pro braces, but I had the same problem before those. I might slide my pedal out a few mm

I ordered another brake pedal that sticks out slightly more (0.4") on my Husky.  I did the same on my Super Tenere, and it made all the difference.  I was able to find one for the ST that swings out of the way in a layover or sideswipe.  Wasn't able to find something similar for the Husky, but I think the one I found will work.  Should get it today.

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

Went back and adjusted them.  Left the allen screws loose.  Put the braces on, first strap tightened below knee, second just above knee, third at calf, fourth at thigh.  Put boots on and intentionally pointed my toes more inward before buckling.  Then squeezed and tightened the allen screws.  Rode about 40 miles offroad and they worked great - good support, but also comfortable enough.  Thanks for the responses.  I had already called the vendor and gotten an RMA on the braces.  Called back and cancelled.

Also you should have received some red colored tabs.  They slide into the brace sides and will limit or expand the articulation of the brace.  Stock was fine for me.  Glad they worked out.  I typically went under knee, above knee, top strap then bottom....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FITZI6_7 said:

Also you should have received some red colored tabs.  They slide into the brace sides and will limit or expand the articulation of the brace.  Stock was fine for me.  Glad they worked out.  I typically went under knee, above knee, top strap then bottom....  

Yep.  I put the 20 in mine as I already had a torn ACL from about 10 years ago.  Can still get around fine, and feel a lot more support against hyperextension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

Yep.  I put the 20 in mine as I already had a torn ACL from about 10 years ago.  Can still get around fine, and feel a lot more support against hyperextension.

I shattered my left Tibia and had my knee reconstructed about 14 years ago.  Can't say enough about how the support helps my confidence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems quite often you hear guys say I wish I would have been wearing them. I have had a couple fender kisses that make me wonder what might have happened hadn't they been on. I will never know that answer but I'm glad they were

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Torrac said:

It seems quite often you hear guys say I wish I would have been wearing them. I have had a couple fender kisses that make me wonder what might have happened hadn't they been on. I will never know that answer but I'm glad they were

If I would have been wearing a true knee brace I doubt I would have had the fracture I had as the impact would have been dissipated by the brace,,, or it could have been a lot worse.  IDK but likely not.  I was tuning my KX250 and riding around my house jumping on a tabletop in my back yard..... no boot's, gear or anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 1:59 PM, FITZI6_7 said:

If I would have been wearing a true knee brace I doubt I would have had the fracture I had as the impact would have been dissipated by the brace,,, or it could have been a lot worse.  IDK but likely not.  I was tuning my KX250 and riding around my house jumping on a tabletop in my back yard..... no boot's, gear or anything.  

I think the same would have been true for me.  Simple kickout when front braking over a root in a turn.  Bike fell on top of me when I went down, hyper-extending my knee.  I don't think it would have happened with a brace.

Edited by markbfe501

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×