Want to add a tach not inductive pickup

I want to add a tachometer. I like the tiny tach as I have seen mentioned around here, but it seems to have an inductive pickup. I want to run an actual pickup off of the ignition. What are my options? I don't want to go full on Vapor dash etc.

Edited by 74jimbo
  • Like 1

Most tachs you can connect to the white wire at the coil or the green wire at the four wire plug that comes from the stator and plugs into the CDI.

I use the white wire at the coil for a nice reliable signal for my Vapor and at the CDI for a data logger. I would wager the Tiny Tach would work off of the white wire fine.

Realize the lag time (1/2 second) with the tiny tach is horrible and only really good for logging hours and checking idle RPM or steady throttle conditions.

The thing I like most about my Tiny Tack is how it gives the max RPM per session when you turn off the ignition. Good way to know if you were lean at top end VS bumping into the rev limiter if you're WOT. Being able to pass through a rev zone repeatedly can also let you know where a problem is. :D

can you use the tiny tach as a direct wire to the coil signal? or does it have to be inductive....

as far as what is wrong with inductive, I guess it isn't so much being wrong, it just isn't as accurate as a wired. -- for inductive, you wrap a wire around the plug wire, just doesn't seem as solid to me, and is less accurate

Mine is set up inductive. No wires to hack, no connections to corrode, simple and durable.

Your ignition timing uses an inductive pickup. Old and effective technology. :smirk:

My cell phone charges using an inductive charger. Charges way faster than the tiny wire charger. :thumbsup:

so the tachs that use an inductive pickup, I can use that wire that is supposed to be wrapped around the plug wire, and actually connect it to something electrically?

well, since I couldn't find much, I ended up getting an inductive pickup tach just now -- it will be here today

tach.JPG

Edited by 74jimbo
  • Like 1

ok, so what do I do with the extra wire? I have about 4 feet of wire for my inductive pickup, but the spark plug wire is about a foot away from my handlebars..... I will wrap the plug wire 5 times as stated in the instructions and electrical tape it in place. but then what do I do with the other 3 feet of cable?

ok, so what do I do with the extra wire? I have about 4 feet of wire for my inductive pickup, but the spark plug wire is about a foot away from my handlebars..... I will wrap the plug wire 5 times as stated in the instructions and electrical tape it in place. but then what do I do with the other 3 feet of cable?

Try zip tying it up, out of the way under the tank. I liked your post so much I also bought one. Im gonna install it later. Where did you mount yours?

I need to make a bracket. I have a handlebar crossbar that the tach is ziptied to right now. Still in tuning stages

I need to make a bracket. I have a handlebar crossbar that the tach is ziptied to right now. Still in tuning stages

I made a bracket using some kydex, made a L shape, then used Velcro to hold the tech and the bracket. So it can be removed very easily 1496539684695.jpg20170512_180939.jpg

Cut the excess off. I found out just how far off calibration my ear is, the idle was set at 1200 rpm.

I though it came with Velcro tape, nope. I ended up having to make a mounting bracket.
IMG_20170701_132912181_HDR.jpg.203680ebcbe3c51b3ee5947d718fd376.jpgIMG_20170701_133254392.jpg.687acff36621ddc62e4fb1d7204f0f41.jpgIMG_20170701_142453124_HDR.jpg.a6e855b0c5f8b96dbb60d3a94ce38906.jpg

I like the backlit

my backlight only seems to be on if I touch one of the buttons, but maybe that is a feature I haven't figure d out yet... it is plenty bright for day riding