Ktm reliability 350sxf

So I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 2017 Ktm350sxf but my question is, how reliable are they? Do they have any valve issues? Do they last a long time before needing adjustment? I'm coming from a 2012 CRF450R and that bikes bullet proof... my brother has 150 hard hours on his and his still has not needed any adjustment and mine is almost at 70 and still needs no adjustment... can I look forward to this much reliability with the KTMs or will it be even better? Shoot me your opinions!

• Like 1

I haven't found a reason to think my 350 is any less reliable than anything else I've owned...

I don't really understand what 'hard hours' means though? Floating valves, not changing the oil or cleaning the air filter, is that hard hours? We beat our bikes pretty good but take care good care of them... 

• Like 2

I haven't found a reason to think my 350 is any less reliable than anything else I've owned...
I don't really understand what 'hard hours' means though? Floating valves, not changing the oil or cleaning the air filter, is that hard hours? We beat our bikes pretty good but take care good care of them... 

We maintain our bikes very well but I meant like being on the rev limiter quite a bit.

my 14 sxf 350 has 240+ hours on it.  runs like a top, valves still in prefect spec.  riding has been a mix of track and trail and I definitely don't baby it while riding, I use the full throttle range on every ride I go on.  I'd have 310-hours in it but I bought a 17 xcf 350 and that's getting the hours on it, it's at 70 hours now and just as reliable as my 14.  keep the oil changed, use a good oil(motul 7100 is a good oil), keep your air filter clean, and you're good to go  

• Like 3

Well I pulled the trigger on it and picked it up lol I'll post a picture when I get off work today. Have to pull it apart and grease all of the bearings and racing it on Friday! I'm super excited to race this bike!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Well I pulled the trigger on it and picked it up lol I'll post a picture when I get off work today. Have to pull it apart and grease all of the bearings and racing it on Friday! I'm super excited to race this bike!

So how are you liking it?? I'm on a 13 kx250f now and really looking hard at the 350. Likes.... dislikes??

Although some people claim to get good reliability out of the 350 thats  certainly not been my experience. Piston and intake guides had to be replaced at 70 hours despite high quality oil and regular air filter maintenance.I did have a oil pump failure that destroyed the head but that did not factor into the aforementioned issues as it happened very quicky and only took out the left side cam journal and finger follower.This time its getting put together with the addition of a, oll low pressure cut off switch.

Edited by widebear

I like pretty much everything about the bike! I bought the bike the day before a race, never rode it once or even setup the suspension for me. Took it to the race the next day and put it in the gate and went 6-6 so I'll take it! Damn good bike! Even before getting it to where I want the suspension! As for the negative story above, maybe you had a bad one? Not sure. Could be anyone's guess. Things like that, you'll hear more bad stories because nobody ever talks about the good ones. Hopefully the bike will be good after everything is fixed. But as for me, I'd say this is the best bike I've ever ridden!

• Like 1

I like pretty much everything about the bike! I bought the bike the day before a race, never rode it once or even setup the suspension for me. Took it to the race the next day and put it in the gate and went 6-6 so I'll take it! Damn good bike! Even before getting it to where I want the suspension! As for the negative story above, maybe you had a bad one? Not sure. Could be anyone's guess. Things like that, you'll hear more bad stories because nobody ever talks about the good ones. Hopefully the bike will be good after everything is fixed. But as for me, I'd say this is the best bike I've ever ridden!

That's awesome to hear! I wondered how tough it would be to ride being used to a 250. Always heard more power takes more effort to control... but the 350 is 15 lbs lighter than my kawi....

Im on my 2nd 350xcf. 2015/2017. I like the 17 better than the 15. I'm mostly a woods rider now that I'm in my 50's but still hit the track with my son sometimes. I recently purchased the 300 Six Days and since then the 350 hasn't has any time on it. Just for kicks I purchased a 2017 250 xcf since I used to race a Suzuki some years back. It seems slow compared to the 300 and a Dog compared to the 350 (obviously). I'd still prefer the 300 or the 250 in the woods but for Moto you can't beat the 350. Funny how the 350/250 aren't much different in weight but rotating mass makes the bike Totally different, especially in the tight woods.

That's awesome to hear! I wondered how tough it would be to ride being used to a 250. Always heard more power takes more effort to control... but the 350 is 15 lbs lighter than my kawi....

I used to get arm pump bad all the time on my 2012 CRF450. I ride maybe twice a month if I'm lucky due to work... now keep in mind, I'm 5'11 and 150lbs... I'm a pretty small guy. Dropping down to the 350 was the best decisions I've made. The bike doesn't ride me, I ride the bike. No more arm pump because it doesn't beat the crap out of me and I can ride a lot longer and harder because again, the bike doesn't kick my ass. I love the bike. If you ever decide to go to a 350, you will not regret it!!

I used to get arm pump bad all the time on my 2012 CRF450. I ride maybe twice a month if I'm lucky due to work... now keep in mind, I'm 5'11 and 150lbs... I'm a pretty small guy. Dropping down to the 350 was the best decisions I've made. The bike doesn't ride me, I ride the bike. No more arm pump because it doesn't beat the crap out of me and I can ride a lot longer and harder because again, the bike doesn't kick my ass. I love the bike. If you ever decide to go to a 350, you will not regret it!!

Would you consider it a lugger or more of a rever?? And how's the mapping selections? Big difference between the 2 or not much??

Would you consider it a lugger or more of a rever?? And how's the mapping selections? Big difference between the 2 or not much??

Haven't used map 2 yet but I've had no trouble lugging it around. The traction control is freakin awesome when the track is muddy! I'll tell you that much though lol