New to 4 strokes and new to forum

Finally figured out how to set up my account and wanted to introduce myself. I bought a 2017 yz250f about a month ago and realized I should have done it sooner. Love the bike. Anyone have any tips for a new 4 stroke owner other than change the oil constantly? LolIMG_20170506_180059_926.jpgIMG_20170520_120529_168.jpg

• Like 1

Ride the hell out of it? Bought my first 4t back in October, brand new 15 yz250f. I'm at about 25 hours, so far just changing oil/filter about every 5 hours and air filter every ride or two depending on how dirty it gets. Gonna check the valve clearance here soon.

That's the plan. I have about 20 on mine and checked the clearances and were right in the middle of the range. Lots of fun!

Good deal and welcome. Love you bike, looks really nice. As single mentioned, stay on top of oil, oil filter, air filter and valves, and you will have a long lasting bike. I would recommend you purchase an hour meter and install it. I just purchased the works connection tach/hour meter, with tank mount for my 14 kx250f. Great device to remind you when it's time to perform the above mentioned steps. For $60, it's a piece of mind device.

• Like 1

I purchased an hour meter right after I bought it but found an hour tracking meter on the power tuner unit. Pretty impressed with Yamaha for giving full service manuals with the bike as well!

• Like 2

I've read a lot of reports of smoking when first started for the day in 14 thru 17 Yamahas. Noticed today that mine does it as well. Anyone ever figure out why?

I have a 14 and never noticed that... Next time I will definitely pay attention! 

Yeah for sure and let me know. The more I think about it, I didn't notice until I hooked the power tuner up to it and made some changes. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike! I have a 15 250f and it smokes a little bit. I think its more from the changes in fueling and timing causing it rather than actually burning oil or coolant. After a few more hours maybe check your valve clearance. Being a Yamaha theres like a 98% chance they will still be in the same spot they left the factory in lol. Doesn't hurt to be proactive and check that stuff though if theres an indicator.

I've read a lot of reports of smoking when first started for the day in 14 thru 17 Yamahas. Noticed today that mine does it as well. Anyone ever figure out why?

Single ring piston on these. They may have switched to a 2 ring piston on them for 17'. Not positive. My FX did this for the 185 hours I owned it. Always smoked at start up. Would go away about a minute into riding and would be gone the rest of the day.
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike! I have a 15 250f and it smokes a little bit. I think its more from the changes in fueling and timing causing it rather than actually burning oil or coolant. After a few more hours maybe check your valve clearance. Being a Yamaha theres like a 98% chance they will still be in the same spot they left the factory in lol. Doesn't hurt to be proactive and check that stuff though if theres an indicator.

Thanks! I checked the valves once already and it was right in the middle of the range. Probably check them every 25 hours to be safe.

Single ring piston on these. They may have switched to a 2 ring piston on them for 17'. Not positive. My FX did this for the 185 hours I owned it. Always smoked at start up. Would go away about a minute into riding and would be gone the rest of the day.

Would make sense. I'm not too worried about it now that I know they just do it. If it did it all day long that would be a different story though.

1 hour ago, sledneck842 said:

Would make sense. I'm not too worried about it now that I know they just do it. If it did it all day long that would be a different story though.

Ya man, don't worry about it.  This topic has been brought up multiple times in the past and has been pretty common amongst FX owners.

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 1