Counter Shaft and Transmission Problem

My son's friend was riding his '05 230 in second gear when a stick jammed into his rear sprocket and stopped the bike dead - they said "a loud crack/pop came from the motor" when the wheel locked up. They started the bike but the gears wouldn't engage. I looked at it and the counter shaft was sticking out of the engine case more than it should. I can grab the front sprocket and move the counter shaft in and out of the engine case.

I've done nothing to it yet - haven't even removed the front sprocket to see how far the counter shaft will pull out. I have a couple questions I hope y'all can help with:

First, considering he was only cruising along in second gear, what's the likelihood that the damage will be contained to the transmission? Do y'all think the wheel locking up at that speed could have damaged anything else in the lower or upper engine - or even the engine case itself?

Second, how difficult of a fix might this be? I have never messed with a transmission but, on other four-stoke bikes I've replaced clutches and flywheels, rebuilt a top end, replaced wheel and body bearings, rebuilt 250x forks and such things. How do you think this transmission job might rank in difficulty compared to those types jobs? I'm just trying to get an idea if it's something I might can tackle for him - he's pretty sure his dad won't want to pay what it would likely cost for Honda to fix an '05 230.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

I pulled my xr250 apart to replace the C/S seal and it wasn't that bad.  I'm sure you would get plenty of help here if you post photos each step of the way.. I would loosen as many bolts as possible while it's still in the frame and use Honda gaskets and seals.

I had a countershaft snap in 2 on my first 03 230. I was told by Honda that I was the only person ever to snap this large steel shaft and I still dont know how I did it. Anyway they didnt have one in stock anywhere so they had to manufacture one in Japan I was told. That was about 5 years ago though. Had to split the cases to repair and i was lucky enough to have a bike mechanic as a mate to do the work. It sounds to me like youve done something similar unfortunately.

Your service manual will take you step by step through splitting the cases. You will need a few special tools and gaskets. I say give it a try. What do you have to lose? The bike is not working anyway.

• Like 2