TTR230 Adjustable needle & bog question

Got an 05 TTR230 as a girlfriend/beginner bike.  Just finished the primary mods (#130 main, #38 pilot, 14T front sprocket, intake/baffle delete).

My two questions:

1. Is there an adjustable needle?  I'm heading up to 8K feet next weekend and find it hard to believe the bike will behave as well at 8K as it does at sea level without a needle position change

2. When I did my test test ride, anytime I quickly opened the throttle to WOT, there's a bog.  Is this normal?  I'd imagine it is, since there is no pumper, but wanted to confirm.

I just got hold of my first TTR230 so im still getting to know the bike. but if Yamaha tuned the 230 like they tuned the TTR125 then I would not worry the needle at 8K feet of elevation.

My daughter and I took two TTR125 over engineer pass in Colorado (12+K) on the stock jetting. I had leaner jets on hand but I never needed them.

I think Yamaha has a habit of tuning the carbs VERY lean....even my WR250F was super lean....

• Like 1

My 230 is very forgiving of high altitudes, but I'm rarely over 6000' with it. You might want to take the exhaust baffle with you. Response is a little better with it in place and it's easy enough to install and try it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my wife's bike I did the normal mods like everyone else. Well we moved to Colorado and our regular riding areas start at 8500 and work up to 10k. I intiniatlly thought the upgraded jets I went with 130 main and 38 pilot wouldn't work very good but I was wrong! The bike runs great. And I think it's like someone mentioned before Yamaha bikes are set up very lean stock.

Even with my yz450 I upgraded the stock jets while living at sea level
And even at high altitude the bike still fires up first kick and no bog!