Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Very new to the dirt bike forums but not so new to bikes. Picked up my 1977 Suzuki PE250B back in 2012 for 500$. Running and riding just fine with little maintenance done since then. Parked the bike in late 2015 due to it shutting off on me while riding (which I believe to be a spark or carb issue) and just now getting around to finding the time to fix since being out of school.. Parts and a source of info have been my biggest obstacles. Anyways here's the bike.

WP_20130803_003.jpg

WP_20130803_001.jpg

WP_20130803_004.jpg

WP_20130803_006.jpg

WP_20130803_005.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jordan E. Spears said:

Very new to the dirt bike forums but not so new to bikes. Picked up my 1977 Suzuki PE250B back in 2012 for 500$. Running and riding just fine with little maintenance done since then. Parked the bike in late 2015 due to it shutting off on me while riding (which I believe to be a spark or carb issue) and just now getting around to finding the time to fix since being out of school.. Parts and a source of info have been my biggest obstacles. Anyways here's the bike.

WP_20130803_003.jpg

WP_20130803_001.jpg

WP_20130803_004.jpg

WP_20130803_006.jpg

WP_20130803_005.jpg

Needs a better quality and slightly longer fuel line with an in-line filter. And always put the petcock in the off position when just sitting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree with that. These pictures were from the last time I was riding it... Can you point me in the direction of knowledge with these bikes? Is like to completely restore the bike little by little but first things first I need to get running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking old bike. The models were so similar back then. It reminds me of the 1979 TS250 and 1979 RM100 I had as a young'un...before I converted the wee RM to monoshock.

Looks like your air intake boot to carb from the airbox needs a clip and properly fitted. If the bike has sat a while it would be well worth checking the air filter and intake system is in good serviceable condition. Be a real shame if it allowed some dirt to get into the engine and cause damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rmxdan said:

Looks like your air intake boot to carb from the airbox needs a clip and properly fitted. If the bike has sat a while it would be well worth checking the air filter and intake system is in good serviceable condition. Be a real shame if it allowed some dirt to get into the engine and cause damage.

The boot is newer and I have since then put a new screw in the clamp for the boot connecting to the carb. Last time I checked the filter was still in pretty good condition. I'm just having a hard time with parts. The guy I bought it fro said it was recently rebuilt with an oversized piston but you know how that goes. Ya never know till you open it up. Bike ran great and pulls hard but it randomly shut off on me last time I was riding it. Even when pullin in and releasing the clutch for a "push start" effect it would not restart itself.

These bikes were very similar to the RM models of the day.

Edited by Jordan E. Spears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Common fail parts for a bike that stops when hot but restarts/runs cold is a bad spark plug/coil or stator.

Nice looking bike and probably worth the time and money to get running right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it might also be needing the rubber swingarm protector to stop the chain rubbing through the pivot bolt area near the gearbox sprocket.

Search 61273-41400 finds several for sale and it also seems to have been superseded to 61273-41401. Double check compatibility before ordering.

Then you can look forward to joy or grief depending on whether the swingarm pivot bolt will slide out the arm and frame...

 

 

Edited by rmxdan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool bike. I had a 175n back in the day. From memory they're pretty simple things. Mine did the same thing at one point, was the lower stator windings (in the engine). Easy to check with a meter, and easy enough to rewind or get rewound if that's it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, William1 said:

Common fail parts for a bike that stops when hot but restarts/runs cold is a bad spark plug/coil or stator.

Nice looking bike and probably worth the time and money to get running right.

Won't restart when cold either. But the spark plug is new and the plug boot is in good condition too. The stator. Good thought actually. I was starting with the ignition system first, but I like the stator idea too.

17 minutes ago, rmxdan said:

Looks like it might also be needing the rubber swingarm protector to stop the chain rubbing through the pivot bolt area near the gearbox sprocket.

Search 61273-41400 finds several for sale and it also seems to have been superseded to 61273-41401. Double check compatibility before ordering.

Then you can look forward to joy or grief depending on whether the swingarm pivot bolt will slide out the arm and frame...

 

 

I'll have to see what the swing arm thing is that you're talking about. I replaced the swing arm bushing shortly after I got the bike due to death wobble, so it shouldn't be a problem with the ease of it coming out.

Is that a part number that though?

Edited by Jordan E. Spears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jordan E. Spears said:

I'll have to see what the swing arm thing is that you're talking about. I replaced the swing arm bushing shortly after I got the bike due to death wobble, so it shouldn't be a problem with the ease of it coming out. If I remember correctly it had a tensioner right their though.

i don't know if you are aware of the many online parts sites that allow you to check up part numbers and view assemblies. They are excellent in helping you see how all the parts fit together and if you are missing anything.

Here is a link to  the ThumperTalk one for your bike model. Just choose which sub assembly you want to view from the drop down menu.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?category=5&manufacturer=5&year=1977&model=27969

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Cool bike. I had a 175n back in the day. From memory they're pretty simple things. Mine did the same thing at one point, was the lower stator windings (in the engine). Easy to check with a meter, and easy enough to rewind or get rewound if that's it.

I'll have to get a new gasket and then check it out. I'm sure after all these years it could use a new stator or rebound like you said.

17 minutes ago, rmxdan said:

i don't know if you are aware of the many online parts sites that allow you to check up part numbers and view assemblies. They are excellent in helping you see how all the parts fit together and if you are missing anything.

Here is a link to  the ThumperTalk one for your bike model. Just choose which sub assembly you want to view from the drop down menu.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?category=5&manufacturer=5&year=1977&model=27969

 

Honestly I'm not aware. I have a bike and a owner's manual + the skills to fix. That's it... I've been successful at buying the oem parts I have replaced but never searched by p.n. very simple machine just needs a lot of little things and love. I feel like a newb though. I searches the p.n in the search box but it nothing came up.

 

The sites I've searched have been anchakandsons and bike bandit. Bike bandit does break it down very simple which I like.

Edited by Jordan E. Spears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to "suzukits.com"  which is dedicated to preserving the old Suzukis.  A guy on there who goes by "stroker duece"  and lives near Salida, Colorado ran a suzuki shop in the 70s and may have the info and parts you need.  Good luck.  I have a 74 TS 185 and 78 DS 185 I still ride occasionally.  Great bikes!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way you described the problem, you may have a simple bad connection in some wiring somewhere, or other simple wiring problem.   Are you getting spark to the spark plug?  If not, check out all wiring and connections before spending $ on parts.  Also check the wire to the kill switch.  If it is getting grounded anywhere, it will not run. And check the coil before going into the stator.  Do the simple things first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do determine that it is the stator that has failed make sure that you grab the end of the crankshaft and try to move it up and down to make sure the outer crank bearing is okay.  I had a stator failure on a 1976 RM125 which turned out to be the result of the rotor rubbing on the stator coils due to the failure of the crankshaft bearing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

The way you described the problem, you may have a simple bad connection in some wiring somewhere, or other simple wiring problem.   Are you getting spark to the spark plug?  If not, check out all wiring and connections before spending $ on parts.  Also check the wire to the kill switch.  If it is getting grounded anywhere, it will not run. And check the coil before going into the stator.  Do the simple things first.

Well I already took the secondary coil off and was going to have it tested. I'm pretty sure all the wiring have been done correctly. I've gone over almost almost all wiring for the accessories, and when taking the coil off it looked to be right as well. I didn't check the kill switch but I will. I'll have the secondary coil (the one that plugs into the c.d ignition box and then into the Spark plug) checked and tested today.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×