Drz 400 starting problem

Im having problems starting my 09 drz 400s.  At first i think my starter solenoid was going because sometimes nothing would happen when i hit the starter button, but then it would start when i smacked the side cover next to the solenoid.  i rode one more day like that only stalling and restarted a couple times.  Now the bike wont start at all with the starter.  The starter sounds like spins and cranks fine but it just wont start.  But you can roll start it everytime so what could that mean.  My friend said something similar happened to him on his trx 450r and it was his starter gear?

It may be the starter relay gone bad.As a test,remove the right side side panel to access the relay.Turn the ignition key to the "on" position then with a pair of uninsulated pliers handles jump the terminals of the relay and see if the bike starts.If it does the relay is bad.If no crank then look at the starter button contacts or loose,corroded connection at the starter.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:36 PM, bumtarder said:

It may be the starter relay gone bad.As a test,remove the right side side panel to access the relay.Turn the ignition key to the "on" position then with a pair of uninsulated pliers handles jump the terminals of the relay and see if the bike starts.If it does the relay is bad.If no crank then look at the starter button contacts or loose,corroded connection at the starter.

I already knew the starter relay was bad I've already replaced that. my problem is the bike cranks normally but won't start, but it will roll start.  I don't think it's the starter it has to be something else. maybe something near the flywheel? or starter clutch?

Any chance it is turning over slower than normal with the starter than it should be(old, weak battery that drops to a low voltage as it cranking over) ? I'm not sure on the DRZ but several bikes I've worked on required a certain rpm before the ignition box would send the spark . When push starting do you think the motor is cranking over faster then(depends what gear used and how fast your pushing) ?

Have you check valve clearances lately ?

• Like 1

So-

Roll starting means running and jumping on? 

Or do you have to tow start it and really get the engine spinning before it will fire but runs ok after that?

If the second part is accurate then jjktm is right on with a tight valve issue. The additional rpm will force the valve closed or overcome the leak allowing it to run.I have experienced this situation.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE VALVE COVER HOLD DOWN BOLTS OR THE CAM CAP WILL BEND OR CRACK!

Edited by robb5
Speeeeel check correct