Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 Skid Plates on YZ 450

I have a 2008 YZ 450f and have been looking for a full coverage skid plate. I have found one, http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-frame-accessories/skid-plates/enduro-engineering-skid-plates?m=144778,  but only fits the YZ 250. I have also been told that the 250 and 450 have same frame. Would this YZ 250 Skid Plate fit on the YZ 450?

• Like 1

No matter what the skid plate says it fits you will most likely have to mess with the plate to make it fit. Ive heard this from friends experience, and my own. I bought a plate that was suppose to fit something like 2007-2012, YZ450f and YZ250F's and it didnt seem like it would fit anything. Had to redrill a hole to make it fit my bike, took way longer then it should have to install but thats skid plates :/. I have an emperor racing heavy duty skid plate, had 2 bolt holes on the sides and two on front plus a bottom mount. so really thats 3 diferent locations to bolt to your bike and hope it fits. The 2 bolt holes on the side fit mine but the front ones didnt and thats where I improvised. Maybe take a chance on it? Ask if they offer a refund if it doesnt fit maybe.

heavy-duty-skid-plate-300x300.jpg

• Like 1

Makes sense what your saying. Decided to ditch the 2 stroke one 👍 and went for the devol skid plates. Supposedly fits the 06-09 yz 450f. Hoping i won't have to improvise and drill holes into the plate. For future reference, yz 250 is a 2 stroke and yz 250F is a 4 stroke? I've always been a Honda rider, until I decided to go for the more reliable bike. 09 450f is my first Yamaha bike and still getting used to it 🙄

Edited by GringoLoco777
  • Like 1

Makes sense what your saying. Decided to ditch the 2 stroke one 👍 and went for the devol skid plates. Supposedly fits the 06-09 yz 450f. Hoping i won't have to improvise and drill holes into the plate. For future reference, yz 250 is a 2 stroke and yz 250F is a 4 stroke? I've always been a Honda rider, until I decided to go for the more reliable bike. 09 450f is my first Yamaha bike and still getting used to it 🙄

Yes, YZ250 (and YZ250x) is a 2 stroke, and YZ250F (and YZ250FX) is a four stroke.

32 minutes ago, GringoLoco777 said:

I decided to go for the more reliable bike. 09 450f is my first Yamaha bike and still getting used to it :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you made the switch to Yamaha 🙂 . I ride a 09 yz450f myself, great bike, loads of power.