Rebuild a 2006 WR450F?

Hi, 

So I have a decent 2006 WR, one owner, clean and straight.  The motor is likely toast as it was ridden without oil..... I know... don't ask.....long story. 

So it currently runs, and runs strong (with new syn oil).  I am trying to decide what to do.  Do I ride it till she drops, that could be bad if far away from home, or do I rebuild the engine or have it rebuilt. 

My questions are, 

Are there any parts of the engine that would have been damaged that a complete engine rebuild kit would not replace?  Kits have crank, cylinder, piston, and connecting rod, some bearings and seals and gaskets. 

Rebuild kits look to be around $500 to $600 on ebay.  Any idea the labor hours involved or how much a shop might charge to do the rebuild?  I am in CA so I am sure the labor rate is higher than most places

Thanks for any input, just need to figure out which way to go with this

Mike

If it were mine, I would probably do a tear down and inspection. My fear with running it as is, if it does decide to fail it could really fail and ruin the case. But I don't have to pay a shop to do my work since I do it myself. Pay now or pay later. 

The bearing in your transmission, your cams and bearings, timing chain just to name what I can think of right of the top of my head. I just did a top end on my son's 06 yz250, different animal but similar. Anyway, what I figured to be $300-350 ended up around $650 due to new valves and springs and some other parts I found worn during the tear down. Of course $80 was du to JD jet kit. 

Ok, well I am stupid. When I "checked" the oil I did so by looking in the filler port at the base of the engine. Today I checked the oil properly at the top of the frame and it was full, us the quart I added. So lots of worry for nothing. 

Now to refill with fresh oil and get out a do ride it! 

• Like 1