2014 Husky FC450 Frame SNAPPED

Anyone else seen or heard of this? The frame mounts for the linkage snapped clean off under normal riding conditions. The inside of the tubing looks like there'd been some light rust inside but nothing that I would say compromised the strength of the frame. The bike has been used primarily for desert riding and some track. Not really all that excited about forking out $1,400 for a new frame. 

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4531.JPG

The welds didn't break the actual tube broke.  It also looks like they pulled off as opposed to being pushed in.  It's odd both tabs failed at the same time and in what looks like exactly the same way.  That leads me to believe it was a problem affecting the entire tube and not just a local defect.   I wonder if the tube wasn't heat treated / annealed properly and was overly brittle.    What year is the bike?  Are you the original owner?  

I'd consider contacting Husky directly (not the dealer).  Be nice and polite.  Explain that you don't think the failure was due to abuse or wear.  Explain that you're going to buy a new frame but you were just wondering if the engineers wanted the old frame so they could look at the failure.  Don't ask for a frame or money.  You might get lucky and they might offer you a new frame for returning the old frame for the engineers.  At least that's the way I would approach it.

Doc  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

The welds didn't break the actual tube broke.

didnt say anything about the welds breaking

its 3 1/2 years old - whos to say what sort of punishment the bike has been through in 3 years

weld it and have it back the same day = no brainer

15 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

didnt say anything about the welds breaking

I didn't say you did.   I was just making an observation that it wasn't a failure of the weld but a failure of the tube.  

I missed the year of the bike in the title.  How many hours on the bike?

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

4 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

I didn't say you did.   I was just making an observation that it wasn't a failure of the weld but a failure of the tube.  

I missed used the year of the bike in the title.  How many hours on the bike?

Doc

This is a customers bike but he's not the original owner. Unsure of total hours but I would guesstimate less than 100 hrs. That's a good idea on contacting Husky directly. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Im an experienced TIG welder but this is not the type of thing I would consider welding for a proper fix seeing as the welds didn't break. Welding it back together will compromise the tubing around the welds. 

• Like 4

That happens when you overshoot the landing on a big jump.  JK!

Edited by markbfe501

Do you think it happened from the linkage hanging up on a rock or something, maybe thinking the linkage guards/ skid plate is a good idea.

Well, that's concerning.   Even if you hit something really hard, that's concerning...  Please, keep us posted on what you get back from the manufacturer.

It kind of looks like the whole piece is cast and the ears are just part of the casting rather than being welded on to a tube . Just looking at the ends of the ears  , the material looks to get thicker and no separation line like they're separate parts on the left one , right has one spot that could be.  Could be wrong .

Edited by jjktmrider

Did you get anywhere with this?  I'm riding a '15 350 and this really has me sweating... 

There was another guy who had similar problem. I cant find post. It might have been on Cafe Husky. His bike had low hours but frame was rusted in same area. He got it replaced. 

Also I am a tool and die maker, 30 years metal expeirience, dont weld it. Metal is fatigued from rust, will only do it again. Probably even faster. Once you weld it they wont even look at it. I bet the rust goes farther in than you think. You would have to take bike apart and cut that whole tube out of there to make sure you got all the rusted part out. Then if the rest of the frame was good you could rebuild it. A lot of work but the only way to do it right, and not worry about it later.

How does that much rust end up in that spot so fast And how could you prevent this? I know there are drain holes a few inches forward of that section of frame, isn't this what they are there to prevent? I wonder if the m 2 strokes and ktms have the same section of frame in question. That sucks!

Both of these look like it came from inside out. 

Edited by jsned250

What was the final fix here? Did you end up having to get a new frame?

Sorry for the late response. Didn't get any support or reply from Husky. Ended up disassembling and TIG welding back together. So far so good!