Rafael Rodrigues

DR-z400E 2000 wont start when hot

25 posts in this topic

Hey all. I got my DRZ tope end rebuilded. 

-wiseco piston and rings

-oem tensioner and cam chain , cam chain guides (3)

-gaskets

-head went to a lathe to install valve seals etc

The thing now is, the bike starts when cold with the E-starter. when hot, it cranks and cranks and no fire.. If i bump start it in a downhill, it will fire.

The bike runs great.. battery at 13 volt, stator charging 14.5.. im clueless and disapointed. Any clues? thank you

I could be wrong, but hot start issues are usually symptomatic of valve clearance issues.

Needing more rpm to start can be a symptom of low compression.

Gotta agree with Lucky, check your valves.

I am taking it to the shop tomorrow. The guy thinks its the stator. it got rewired and its charging the battery . I think it's valves.. lets see.. I hope its not something hard and expensive, and i want to start riding some trails

As I understand it, when you're starting the bike, the stator isn't doing anything to help. The battery feeds DC power into the starter and the bike starts. As the engine is running, the magnets on the flywheel induce AC current in the stator. Stator feeds that AC current into R/R which converts it back into DC to charge the battery. 

Getting 14.5v with the engine going doesn't seem like in any way to me like a stator issue.

On 6/26/2017 at 0:49 PM, Rafael Rodrigues said:

I am taking it to the shop tomorrow. The guy thinks its the stator. it got rewired and its charging the battery . I think it's valves.. lets see.. I hope its not something hard and expensive, and i want to start riding some trails

Did you end up finding out the issue?

1 hour ago, zDirtyDeedz said:

Did you end up finding out the issue?

still nothing.. the shop is full of service and wont have time to my bike.. on the end of september maybe.. thing i see now is when i crank it sometimes the starter gets "compression jammed"... 

I have the same year 400 E,

Mine started doing the same thing .

Intake valves were out of spec.

Put the correct valve shims in, haven't had any problems since.

My S model is in the shop for the same thing right now. Valves were in spec, but hot starts are still bad. Cold start is perfect. Auto decomp might be the issue. Check your pin in the intake cam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using ThumperTalk mobile app

i checked.. the pin is there and moves.. lets see.. i installed a new decomp a year ago, because the old owner removed it and bike wont start.. lets hope the best

Decomp doesn't matter. I don't have de-compression and the bike fires the instant I touch the magic button.

My guess is you have the pilot / fuel screw setting too rich.

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Decomp doesn't matter. I don't have de-compression and the bike fires the instant I touch the magic button.

My guess is you have the pilot / fuel screw setting too rich.

Not sure about Rafael but I was lean before and had the same issues. I went as dead on as I think I can get it, maybe a bit on the rich side, and still the same hot start issue. Mech confirmed my jetting should be good but he did minor tweaks and still same thing.

UPDATE. one intake valve is 0.05mm under spec. should be 0.10 and is 0.05mm.. is it enough?

You should fix that. After you shim it monitor it closely to see if it continues to move.

Ok, so i took it to a garage, they fixed the valve, and stil the same. they took out the flywheel and stator.. new stator is comming, and lets see if it will work with this flywheel (it worked with some loosen bolts on there and its a lil bit beaten)

As Ohio pointed out , a rich pilot will make a bike hard to start hot , a hot start circuit on fcr's will take care of it by adding pure air in to lean out the mixture and help it start better. Electronics can also go out of spec when hot so it can be a few things , usually if it has good spark when it's not starting will reduce the likelyhood of that being the case though and point toward something else . Easy way to know if a costly part isn't needed .

my carb is a FCR.. the bike is on shop for 2 months, and next friday i have a 3 day ride and it wont be ready.. already paid for the cruise, and the techs at the shop are lazy asses and wont put it working... god damn...

now they said they gonna take head cover off to see auto decomp... 

if i had a friend with LTZ or DRZ i would try to swap coil and stator, but drz are rare here

Can you put up with the hot start issue as is just to go on the ride ? leave the thing running when at all possible .