Thanks for taking a look. I hope someone can point me in the right direction to get this headache solved. I'll try and be as detailed as I can without bombarding you all with a wall text.. 

My bike is a 2005 DRZ400S with over 20,000 miles on it (mostly highway but lately more dirt). I just recently brought the bike in (after a good 3 hour ride in the mountains) to a local motorcycle service shop (Cycletune in Portland, OR). They did a list of maintenance work as well as replaced the tires, relocated my ignition switch, removed side stand switch, etc. I took the bike back home and it died after about 15 minutes on the highway. Now, my bike is experiencing intermittent loss of power, backfiring, stalling, etc. The mechanics working on my bike threw up their hands and told me they tried and couldn't figure it out. They said they did not believe that they caused the problem and did not know what was causing it. They said that they could "start throwing parts at it" and charge me hourly to try and figure it out... 

Before my bike died on the highway and was towed back to the shop, I got their "level 3 service" (highest service package available). This service included:

• Oil and filter change, Battery check, Wheel & tire inspection, Cooling system check,Inspect/clean air filter,Lube/adjust all cables and pivot points,Clean and adjust chain/belt,Inspect brake system,Check electrical system,Inspect clutch components (external),Fastener check,Set tire pressure,Safety check,Spark plug replacement,Carburetor/throttle body synchronization,Inspect/change transmission fluid/driveshaft fluid,Inspect steering head & wheel bearings,Cooling system check & flush if needed,Brake and Clutch,fluid flush. 

After they took my bike back in and couldn't fix the intermittent problem, they gave me a handwritten letter saying the following: 

• "Level 3 service was perfored. All fluids changed. Valves checked (within specs) side stand switch eliminated. Bike had intermittent stalling problem and was towed back to shop. Problem was eventually replicated on test ride. Intermittent cutting out, loss of power. Eventual stalling was experienced. Fuel petcock was checked at the time of stalling - appeared okay. Correct level of fuel was found in float bowl at time of stalling. Pick up coil was replaced. New pick up coil did not solve problem. Intermittent problem still exists." 

Here's a sound clip of the problem (it starts around 0:14). Bike was warmed up for about 10 minutes before the audio was recorded. The bike idles just fine. 

Any ideas on what is causing this? I'm somewhat mechanically capable so I'm going to try and fix it myself (partly because I lost faith in the shop I went to for a variety of reasons and don't trust that they will fix it and partly because other local shops have a wait time of 4+ weeks to get my bike in). 

Thank you! 

Edited by eemba
added info that the bike was warm before the audio was recorded and that it idles just fine.

Too often shops just don't know how to troubleshoot ignition VS fuel.

Good they checked for fuel.

Sounds like a stator issue to me.

Would the stator be intermittent? Sometimes the bike will run terrible then it "fixes" itself and rides great.. but the problem comes back eventually. 

Symptoms like idling fine, running fine cold, only to be intermittent after warmup tend to be stator. Pull the cover and see if the coils are burnt.

Get a manual,  I would suspect something with the ignition relocate or the side stand wiring. Once those are verified then start looking for shorts and opens. Make sure all plugs are good etc.....

• Like 1

I gotta agree with Melkor. Something has changed, and those 2 items seem to be the obvious culprits.

My DRZ would not start one day. I finally traced it back to a mod I had performed. It was a bad connection at a splice I made for a voltage meter/hot lead for a GPS.

Once I redid that splice it cranked right up and ran fine.

Oh, and if you haven't done the 'free power mod'(look that up on this very site), you might look there. That is a really crappy factory connector between your stator and battery.

Edited by Filipe

I didn't know you could get a pick-up coil separate from the stator? What did the work order say about the P-up coil replacement? Dirty pilot jet will/can sound like that also.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. I'll pull the cover and check the stator soon and do a bit more thorough of a check of the wiring and connections. Yeah the pick up coil can apparently be bought separately from the Ricky Stator website. I didn't know until after the fact that my original part was actually within spec but they replaced it because the resistance was measuring on the high side.. The jets are a new idea. I'll have to take a look. Thank you all!