Leave indication to future mechanics that bolt is threadlocked?

Is there any industry trick to signal to future users that a bolt is threadlocked? I have seen smears (attached) - is this it?

Background: I'm about to threadlock some bolts and nuts with "strong" threadlocker, which will need heating to remove. I am afraid that others working of bike not knowing this, will break the bolt. Example: I need to fasten some bolts to the magnet/generator ("drz400 loctite fix"). If bike breaks and I leave it to mechanic, he suspect the generator and is to take it out, but he pulls a bolt off because he did not know it is threadlocked. Now we have a real problem.

Regards!

6531d1377606891-loose-front-sprocket-front-sprocket[1].jpg

I believe the smear in your pic is for reference to see if the nut has moved at all.
As for knowing what's thread locked I usually just guess. Stator with philips head screws, use an impact screwdriver. Caliper bolts, six point socket. Fork components like the lower tube, usually use heat.
I guess you could try to mark them, but it'd probably either wear off, or whoever is working on it won't know why it's there.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have removed many bolts cold that were fitted using a thread locker compound and not broken one yet, high tensile bolts are most often used on vehicles which are difficult to break. Sometimes a bolt will pick up, often in aluminium and the thread will tear out with the bolt but not sure this is the fault of the thread locker. From memory those thread locker type compounds are designed to operate at above 100C and l would prefer not to locally heat any part of an engine to that temp to release the thread locker. 

Edited by steve3351
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hugh, 

If you're worried about you keeping the bike, but having a mechanic do work, make any sort of mark (as durable as you can) and just tell the mechanic what it means when you drop the bike off.  Better yet, write down a list of the threadlocked bolts, keep it in the back of your Haynes manual so you don't loose it, and give a copy to the mechanic.

You could also try adding a drop of the threadlocker to the top of the bolt, that way the mark is the actual stuff and might give a better hint as to why it's there.

You're using threadlocker....not retaining compound.  You won't snap a fastener, especially one that large.  If you're putting retaining compound on your case bolts, that's a different story. Also, no, there isn't a standard method to mark a fastener for thread locker.

Is there any industry trick to signal to future users that a bolt is threadlocked? I have seen smears (attached) - is this it?
Background: I'm about to threadlock some bolts and nuts with "strong" threadlocker, which will need heating to remove. I am afraid that others working of bike not knowing this, will break the bolt. Example: I need to fasten some bolts to the magnet/generator ("drz400 loctite fix"). If bike breaks and I leave it to mechanic, he suspect the generator and is to take it out, but he pulls a bolt off because he did not know it is threadlocked. Now we have a real problem.
Regards!
594ff0115a139_6531d1377606891-loose-front-sprocket-front-sprocket1.jpg.36b21238e354f17a87bc1506b3b3b960.jpg

Tape a note to the inside of your stator cover. Seriously. That’s what I would do. You said it’s for the stator right?