Metal shavings

I recently purchased a 15, yz250fx. It was from a dealership who claimed it only had 13 hrs on it. It has seemed fine so far, however I decided to check the valve clearances last week. I noticed the very tips of the cam lobes are wearing slightly i.e., it almost looks like the plating is wearing through. I decided to change the oil which is the 4th time in about 12 hrs and had a decent amount of shavings stuck in the filter. I pulled the pre screen and didn't see much on there. I went ahead and finished the oil change, and clearances were in spec. I rode it about 2 hrs today and pulled the filter again, and a few more filing showed up. I again, removed the valve cover and nothing looks different from last week on the lobes.  It does not seem to be losing any power that I can tell, maybe a little harder starting than I would expect.  I have always checked to make sure I have oil pressure at the bolt in the head after changes. Today I even went so far as to crank it over with the oil filter off the bike and there was plenty of oil rising through the galley. I have washed and re oiled my filter after every ride as well.  I have done no noticeable gear grinding when shifting. I have attached a few photos. If you notice the very tip of the upper right cam lobe, you can see what I am seeing. That is the one that shows it the most. Is it possibly just the last bits from initial break in?  What is anybody's take on this, not sure if I am worrying too much or not. Thanks very much

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Edited by Torrac

You need to remember these bikes have a singular oil source so if you are hard on the clutch you will find all that clutch stuff in the oil and filter. Top end looks normal to me but it is hard to tell when I cant see it in person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motox331 said:

You need to remember these bikes have a singular oil source so if you are hard on the clutch you will find all that clutch stuff in the oil and filter. Top end looks normal to me but it is hard to tell when I cant see it in person.

I do understand that, it just seemed a little excessive to me. I think my paranoia of buying a used bike makes it seem worse, at which point I start looking for problems. I've been burned before....:(

17 hours ago, Torrac said:

I do understand that, it just seemed a little excessive to me. I think my paranoia of buying a used bike makes it seem worse, at which point I start looking for problems. I've been burned before....:(

Like others have said, just keep an eye on it. im sure its nothing lol. I see you are form Iowa, where do you ride at out there? My fiancés family all lives in west des moines and I always want to take my bike out there but don't know anyone or anyplace to ride.

We are located in marion, about 70 minutes from the quad cities. The area nearby us is a lot of sand ,some pretty decent trails, and smaller hill climbs, and of course some mx tracks. I haven't went to any of the others around yet of course with the one being so close. What area are u from. Any good trails. I have some family in Illinois as well.

• 2 weeks later...