yz125 fork cap removal

Just getting ready to rebuilt forks and am stuck on getting the fork cap off. I dont want to buy and wait for the specialty tool to get the big cap off, what way can i get it off without a fork cap wrench? and also if I use the quick seal change method is it still possible to change the outer oil to make sure the level is correct? 

quick seal change method--http://dirtbikemagazine.com/quick-fork-seal-replacement/

yes you can do it this way without changing the inner fluid. The oil height is actually set by using the oil volume not by setting the height from the top like you would in a open chamber fork, so just make sure you use the correct amount of oil.

yes you can do it this way without changing the inner fluid. The oil height is actually set by using the oil volume not by setting the height from the top like you would in a open chamber fork, so just make sure you use the correct amount of oil.

Just to make sure. Your saying if I do it With the quick method without taking the fork cap off, I can dump the outer fork oil out the bottom of the fork without the inner oil coming out? And can I fill the oil from there too with the 350 ml

If trying to remove the caps with the forks still on the bike, be sure the upper triple clamp bolts are loose.

• Like 1

You can remove them with a large crescent wrench. You just can't remove the inner chamber from the damper rod. Spend the 20 bucks on the tusk tools and do it right.

You can remove them with a large crescent wrench. You just can't remove the inner chamber from the damper rod. Spend the 20 bucks on the tusk tools and do it right.

Can I empty just outer oil from the bottom and fill from the bottom?

I guess but it seems like more work to me.

I'm fine with more work as long as I don't have to touch the cap and the inner assembly