2004 XR250 - Dual Sport to FlatTrack transformation

So, this spring, I bought a 2004 XR250 with less than 400 miles on it. First owner bought it for his cabin - rode it from front door to mailbox, and that was about it. Second owner bought it for his wife, shaved the seat - but it was still too tall for her. Then I came along . . . ?

Folks I compete against have teased me (good naturedly) since I started looking for an XR250 . . . wondering why I'd go 'Old School - Air Cooled' instead of 'MX - DTX - Liquid Cooled'. My answer, because I wanted to. LOL

So, here's what it looked like when I bought it . . . I didn't document every single alteration; but, I caught some. Those will follow.

The bike really is in exceptional condition. My initial alterations will be suspension, wheels/tires, fenders, & removal of electronics. Then I'll attack it with "Gordon's Mods".

Everything I remove, I'll keep complete and in excellent condition - so that if/when I feel like selling, I can completely swap back to Dual Sport conditions.

HB

IMAG01206[1].jpg

LeftSide-1200x900[1].jpg

RightSide-1200x900[1].jpg

Edited by Haybails
  • Like 1

For our FlatTrack cycles, of main importance is a lowered center of gravity and suspension. I have to be honest, I'm not a suspension guy . . . but, good news is that I have a former Champ and FlatTrack Guru who lives in my city - and we just happen to be friends. ?

Plan was to lower the bike right about 4 inches.

Tear down started, rebuild began . . .

IMAG01434.jpg

IMAG01435.jpg

IMAG01436.jpg

I have to be honest, we haven't touched the engine at all. I mean nothing. I want to see how the completely stock mill will compete against some of the competition first. An effort in futility maybe (LOL), but I want to put my riding up against the competition first.

I'm debating on whether I should go for a complete 'FlatTrack - Framer' look . . . or just kind of keep the stock appearance.

A Seat like this would look pretty cool, though.

HB

DTS2.jpg

kaylkolkman_ditrtracker_720.jpg

• Like 1

And Voilà! We're getting there . . .

Graphics package, fork guards, removal of the kick-stand (as it's literally so low, now, that the kick-stand tips the bike over the other way - LOL) & (maybe) that Flat Track seat pan pictured above, are next.

I'm also starting the "Gordon's Mods" (baffle, snorkel, jets, etc.). (the entire baffle is out in the third photo - the chrome ring and spark arrester are back in now).

HB

IMAG01461.jpg

IMAG01462.jpg

IMAG01463.jpg

IMAG01464.jpg

Edited by Haybails
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job shes lookin great!  id like to see pix when its finished   and great that you have kept the oem parts to change it back when your done good thinking!

I haven't seen a lot of flat track mostly the old clips of Mert lawwill cool stuff and man do those things fly:ride:

• Like 1

Looks great.....although seeing that you are already running a white rear fender maybe you should consider a white front fender and tank as well and keep the pristine red stuff in a box. Main reason personally that I would do this is that it's easier to match white than red and the XR red is tough to match with aftermarket plastics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick little update.

• I got the baffle out (Good Lawd; that's a story in and of itself! LOL),
  • Put the chrome ring & spark arrestor back on,
  • Threw a new chain at it,
  • Pulled the rear tire as far back as it would go,
  • Pulled the kick-stand off,
  • Changed the oil,
  • Drained the fuel and re-filled with non-oxygenated,
  • Graphics are still being whipped up (sigh),
  • White fork guards are on,
  • I have a set of black fork guards and a black supermoto front fender . . . but, haven't tried them on yet,

But, the biggest update is that:

• I took this trusty ol' XR to the track last weekend!
  • Got it out on the track twice during pre-race practice and INSTANTLY fell in love with it!

OMG! The suspension work my friend did, the smooth power the engine produces, the lowered c.o.g., the tires . . . this puppy was darn near purr-fect right out of the trailer! I'll probably play around with tire compounds and air pressures . . . but, that's really nothing about the bike. The bike itself was wonderful!

Now, I am NOT a pro - just an aging regional amateur . . . but, for me, this is exactly what I need. A smooth power delivery and a solid setup. This way, I'm working on my piloting . . .

Now, the bad news is that I dumped my other bike in my first heat of the day (hospital visit - LOL), therefore I never got to use the XR250 in actual racing conditions. But, in practice I was staying in the crowd with the bigger bikes (DTX 250s, 450s, Twins) - and since it was literally my 'maiden voyage' with it, I really wasn't pushing it too hard. Now most of our tracks are smaller / smalli-ish "bull rings" so, this all actually plays well into my bike (in my un-edumacated personal opinion). I don't need a ga-zillion horses beneath me . . . handling and smooth delivery of what power I do have is the key.

I know some have (elsewhere - not on this thread) commented about curb-weight . . . and, quite honestly, the thing felt down-right "nimble" beneath me. No complaints here.

I'll see if I can scratch up some photos, but honestly, our photographer never snaps during practice - usually just during green-flag racing; so, I probably won't find any.

Mid Sept. we've got a little longer track (closer to 1/3-Mile), so speed and ponies will matter, but with my injury, I again won't really be pushing it too hard. But, I'll see if I can get some 'speed shots' of this "Lil' Ol' XR" then. ?

I'm happy.

HB

Edited by Haybails
  • Like 1

Quick little update.
  • I got the baffle out (Good Lawd; that's a story in and of itself! LOL),
  • Put the chrome ring & spark arrestor back on,
  • Threw a new chain at it,
  • Pulled the rear tire as far back as it would go,
  • Pulled the kick-stand off,
  • Changed the oil,
  • Drained the fuel and re-filled with non-oxygenated,
  • Graphics are still being whipped up (sigh),
  • White fork guards are on,
  • I have a set of black fork guards and a black supermoto front fender . . . but, haven't tried them on yet,
But, the biggest update is that:
  • I took this trusty ol' XR to the track last weekend!
  • Got it out on the track twice during pre-race practice and INSTANTLY fell in love with it!
OMG! The suspension work my friend did, the smooth power the engine produces, the lowered c.o.g., the tires . . . this puppy was darn near purr-fect right out of the trailer! I'll probably play around with tire compounds and air pressures . . . but, that's really nothing about the bike. The bike itself was wonderful!
Now, I am NOT a pro - just an aging regional amateur . . . but, for me, this is exactly what I need. A smooth power delivery and a solid setup. This way, I'm working on my piloting . . .
Now, the bad news is that I dumped my other bike in my first heat of the day (hospital visit - LOL), therefore I never got to use the XR250 in actual racing conditions. But, in practice I was staying in the crowd with the bigger bikes (DTX 250s, 450s, Twins) - and since it was literally my 'maiden voyage' with it, I really wasn't pushing it too hard. Now most of our tracks are smaller / smalli-ish "bull rings" so, this all actually plays well into my bike (in my un-edumacated personal opinion). I don't need a ga-zillion horses beneath me . . . handling and smooth delivery of what power I do have is the key.
I know some have (elsewhere - not on this thread) commented about curb-weight . . . and, quite honestly, the thing felt down-right "nimble" beneath me. No complaints here.
I'll see if I can scratch up some photos, but honestly, our photographer never snaps during practice - usually just during green-flag racing; so, I probably won't find any.
Mid Sept. we've got a little longer track (closer to 1/3-Mile), so speed and ponies will matter, but with my injury, I again won't really be pushing it too hard. But, I'll see if I can get some 'speed shots' of this "Lil' Ol' XR" then. [emoji4]
I'm happy.

HB
sounds awsome! would love to see some pictures and great to hear that an old xr is still up for some new challenges!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...