Sign in to follow this  

safety wire

How practical is it to get safety wire and pliers? 
Do they have any common places on a bike?

I have safety wire on my grips, and I think it's kinda cool.... but should I invest in some?

I have also seen a drz drain plug, with a hole for safety wire? not mine, but an aftermarket

Not a bad idea, safety wire is commonly required at a race track.  Don't over twist.  Those little wire ends fit under your finger nails too.

I mean, what would you use it for?

also, what size to get?

Safety wiring came from a long standing practice in the aviation world for critical fasteners and it quickly found it's way in racing and competition.There's nothing wrong with safety wiring when done correctly but it is time consuming to apply and not always necessary.The safety wire pliers can be found in many places and in different sizes along with the .020-.030" gage stainless safety wire.

• Like 1

the safety wire on your grips isn't there to look cool. it helps keep the grips from rotating.

I know it keeps the grips from rotating. Just curious as to how useful it is in the motorcycle world, or where I would use it. Could I say, use it as an emergency hose clamp? Or would that cut through fuel or coolant lines? Not long term of course. For example, that oil drainplug I saw. What or where would I use that to?

It's used at the track for keeping bolts that may come out from laying on the track. That's pretty much it. Not really used for keeping them from unscrewing though. Don't bother, like they said, for the normal rider, its' not needed. You have to drill tiny holes in every bolt, or buy a pack of bolts with these holes already drilled, then wire them to something stationary nearby, sometimes requiring more drilling.

No, I don't imagine it would be very useful for clamping hoses... 

The one thing I can imagine it being useful for normal riders is if you run a clip master link and want to really make sure it stays put. You can wire right over the clip in between the rollers, and the wire wont touch the sprocket.

Edited by HansLanda

As an aircraft mechanic, I have nothing safety wired on any of my bikes. I might have a bit of wire in the tool kit for those occasional soil sample/gravity storms.

I had to drill and safety wire my bike to pass tech at the races but when I'm not racing...I don't bother with it...too much of a hassle and not much of a benefit if you know how to tighten bolts correctly.

• Like 1

Safety wire is ok as a backup-trailside repair thing if you don't have a way to re-tighten something to get back to camp. It does work for hoses if you don't twist the crap out of it and cut through the hose , I've had to use zipties as hose clamps which will work better to get by. I don't use anything to hold my grips on , just dish soap for installing and once it dries they don't move , I don't grip my handlebars too tight which is why grips move , keeps arm pump away. My nephew rode one of my quads on a trip and he had those grips loose in 20 min. and actually stretched them out so bad that even gluing them wouldn't hold for 5 minutes , did the same on the spare set I had and glued on overnight . The original grips had been on that quad for almost 2 years , never once moved on me . He rode with a death grip always , so he had to multiple wire his grips plus heavy on the glue. 

I don't loc-tite anything either, I actually go through and antiseize every fastener, have had more issues with things corroded together more than coming loose.  Some things do need loc-tite and should normally be used though .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

I had a KDX that had safety wire all over it. I give fasteners one chance. If they come loose they get wired. All my bikes get the oil drain plug wired. YMMV.

My supermoto race bikes require safety wire for some items. It absolutely works as a failsafe if done properly. The person who said it does not keep bolts from backing out is clearly doing it wrong. That being said my trail bikes get safety wire on the grips and drain plugs only.

• Like 1