Tightwad advice

Hehe - I just know someone's gonna try and roast me for asking/posting this.

As the title suggests, I am a tightwad. I picked up a bone stock 2007 drz400sm for a mere $1K. It was left standing with fuel for 5 years so the internals ain't pretty. I gave the carb and tank a once over clean and it fired up. Now I have to strip it all back down and give it a good thorough going over. 

I figured that while the carb was out I'd do the 3x3 mod and jd jet kit. I do not intend to change the stock exhaust but I may put a uni filter on at some point. I also want to remove the California carb emissions crap. 

OK here's where I get roasted  I'm looking for as much bang for my buck as possible.  When I looked into the  JD jet kit it seems that all it really contains is a needle and a main jet for $80  How muuuuuuch???  I know most people are going to say it's totally worth it but I have a feeling that someone here may pipe up and say I really don't need the kit: "buy the mixture screw and a xx main jet and you'll get the same results at a fraction of the cost".

so go on - roast away.....

Edited by marcoma
Grammar

I picked one up for my 2t... I say it is worth the money. However, you could buy separate jets/needles for you general altitude and temperature and purchase.

Oh yeah - forgot to mention that I am at approx 1200 foot above sea level and want a range between 0 and 4000.

Any other cheapo mods I should consider?

The stock needle is non-adjustable,you can only go so far.Your bike has the cv carburetor to appease the epa,real drzs have the fcr pumper carb.A lot of engineering goes into a James Dean jet kit.You get 2 needles,not one(high alt. & high temp,low alt. & low temp),a selection of genuine main jets,a genuine pilot jet and an extra needle clip and the most important part is it comes with great instructions and support.No other jet kit maker for the drz even comes close.If you really want to cheap out get a DynoJet kit.Years ago that's pretty much all we had and it wasn't designed for a stage 2,we had to sort of adapt.

Edited by bumtarder
  • Like 2

i wouldnt get crazy .. when it comes to how your bike runs the jd jet kit is worth it and is spending your money 'in the right place' .. that is being cheap but wise ..

• Like 1

Not only buying parts but the expertise, research and testing to put those parts together. I see it as a great value.

• Like 1

Unless the BSR has an alternate needle, there is no other show in town.

Seems to me the DJ kit comes with a different spring at least, but not sure whether it has a needle, or gives you washers to shim your own needle.

You could cheap out by buying a few jets, shimming your needle and cutting a few coils off the stock spring.

Any and all of the advice so far is good and valid; you must choose which direction you'll be going in the future.

Do either kit replace a metal slide with a plastic slide? My BSR got stolen in 2009, so I have nothing to compare to.

Edited by Bermudacat

Ok so there's more than a needle, a jet and a spare clip in this kit then?  

I didn't realize the stock needle was not adjustable either. I will eventually go the fcr route but for now did not want to spend money on something that was eventually getting trashed. 

So  is there any performance advantage to a JD mixture screw over stock?

Performance advantage as in actually being able to reach the fuel screw and accurately adjust it quickly.But you can weld a washer to a driver bit and fumble around trying to adjust the screw without burning your hand.The Kientech extended screw works well too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcoma said:

Hehe - I just know someone's gonna try and roast me for asking/posting this.

As the title suggests, I am a tightwad. I picked up a bone stock 2007 drz400sm for a mere $1K. It was left standing with fuel for 5 years so the internals ain't pretty. I gave the carb and tank a once over clean and it fired up. Now I have to strip it all back down and give it a good thorough going over. 

I figured that while the carb was out I'd do the 3x3 mod and jd jet kit. I do not intend to change the stock exhaust but I may put a uni filter on at some point. I also want to remove the California carb emissions crap. 

OK here's where I get roasted  I'm looking for as much bang for my buck as possible.  When I looked into the  JD jet kit it seems that all it really contains is a needle and a main jet for $80  How muuuuuuch???  I know most people are going to say it's totally worth it but I have a feeling that someone here may pipe up and say I really don't need the kit: "buy the mixture screw and a xx main jet and you'll get the same results at a fraction of the cost".

so go on - roast away.....

2 dollars in brass. 78 dollars in giving you a solid jetting result for a wide variety of conditions and mods based upon someone's knowledge. ;)  NEED it? No idea. If you're knowledgeable about jetting and a decent wrench, might not.  If you're a jetting nOOb and don't feel like experimenting, buy the jetting solution in a box with tech support.

About thee needle... how a needle is profiled can make a bit difference. Don't discount the R&D & testing that goes into getting this. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

2 dollars in brass. 78 dollars in giving you a solid jetting result for a wide variety of conditions and mods based upon someone's knowledge. ;)  NEED it? No idea. If you're knowledgeable about jetting and a decent wrench, might not.  If you're a jetting nOOb and don't feel like experimenting, buy the jetting solution in a box with tech support.

About thee needle... how a needle is profiled can make a bit difference. Don't discount the R&D & testing that goes into getting this. 

Yeah I get it now. Paying for the RnD not the part. It was that $2 of brass I was having a hard time getting past for $80. :p

Having looked at the jetting charts for what I have, I just want to set it and go and not mess around taking the carb in and out. 

I'll likely just use the mixture settings from this chart and hope for the best. 

Thanks all for talking me off the ledge 

• Like 1

Don't jump just yet.  For a tad more than the jetting kit, get a CVK40.  Look here for advice, jetting, praises and rants. 

I went with a JD kit for the BSR also, yes the JD jetting does wake up the bike.  Is it better than a 1000cfm Dominator, no but it has more potential than a BSR. 

Cheap can sometimes get expensive, the CVK is a proven option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcoma said:

Yeah I get it now. Paying for the RnD not the part. It was that $2 of brass I was having a hard time getting past for $80. :p

Having looked at the jetting charts for what I have, I just want to set it and go and not mess around taking the carb in and out. 

I'll likely just use the mixture settings from this chart and hope for the best. 

Thanks all for talking me off the ledge 

Found the receipt for my JD kit today while cleaning the basement. It was $68 and free shipping when you buy the JD idle screw at the $17.79 retail price. Like BT says, no screwing around to adjust the idle.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 38super said:

Don't jump just yet.  For a tad more than the jetting kit, get a CVK40.  Look here for advice, jetting, praises and rants. 

I went with a JD kit for the BSR also, yes the JD jetting does wake up the bike.  Is it better than a 1000cfm Dominator, no but it has more potential than a BSR. 

Cheap can sometimes get expensive, the CVK is a proven option.

Ooh this is cool. I already jumped on the jd kit but I can certainly explore this at a later date. Thanks 38super. 

• Like 1