Lost on what bike fits me best

Hey guys im looking to pick up my first bike within a couple weeks im just lost on getting a 250 or 450, im 6ft 240lbs, not looking to race but i would like to ride some tracks as i have one close to me, mostly for trails and jumps! any opinions from guys around my size would be awesome, thanks in advance!

Edited by PedroV5

Small or big guy doesn't matter as much because if your a novice you don't need a 450. You said first bike which leads me to believe you haven't had much experience. And if you haven't had much experience a 450 might scare you out of the sport. Even at 240lbs a 250F would have enough power for you.

• Like 2

I'm glad others are giving you the correct advice.

If you are a novice rider, a 450 is a very bad idea.

Now, you said mostly trails.  So that tells me you should probably avoid an mx race bike.  Might look at the YZ250FX or KTM 250XCF.  Both are off road race bikes that can handle the occasional track day.  

Edited by Mudd94
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2017 at 9:18 PM, 505 YZ125 said:

Small or big guy doesn't matter as much because if your a novice you don't need a 450. You said first bike which leads me to believe you haven't had much experience. And if you haven't had much experience a 450 might scare you out of the sport. Even at 240lbs a 250F would have enough power for you.

this is what i needed to hear, i had this idea where i NEEDED a 450 for my size but i also felt like it was alot of power for a first bike that being said do you have any suggestions on what year/manufacturer is a good choice? budget is no more than $3500 maybe $4000. 

9 hours ago, PedroV5 said:

this is what i needed to hear, i had this idea where i NEEDED a 450 for my size but i also felt like it was alot of power for a first bike that being said do you have any suggestions on what year/manufacturer is a good choice? budget is no more than $3500 maybe $4000. 

What's your favorite color?

jk. Honestly my friend based on the application you listed above a trail bike may be more up your ally. A budget of 3.5-4K puts you in the used bike market, obviously, but it puts you in a good used bike market. 2012-2015 ought to be in your price range. As far as what sized bike I think you would be comfortable from 250-350. Like mudd and dadx said above. 

Now IMO if your looking forward to the challenge of being a mechanic on your own bike as much as you are riding then maybe a 2 stroke may fit your needs. But if your looking for a more casual experience a 4 stroke may be more up your alley. 

Also IMO I don't feel one brand is much more reliable than another in the used bike market. All depends on the previous owner and their diligence to maintainence. 

The wrong used bike could end up sending you over your stated budget. So maybe buy closer to the lower end of your budget and use the rest for replacing high wear parts when you pull the trigger and buy the bike your set on  

Which sorta brings us back too... what's your favorite color and if your partial to a certain brand... lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dadx said:

Beta has been very reliable but yeah I do my own maintenance and knew former owner

What is beta's footprint in the US like? Idk that I've ever seen a Beta dealer or even seen a beta for sale. 

Used betas go quick. Dealer about hour from my house . iron pony. I have seen several others at local races. And at gncc ill keep my eye out when I go to penton next weekend. Still loving this bike