so I been thinking about doing the big bore kit for awhile now i was reading the 305 thread which took quite awhile to get threw and the b&b and the takegawa kit ppl both have problems with so I was wondering as to why these kits have problems I have a couple of ideas myself but this is the kit I'm considering buying unless someone talks me out of it https://japan.webike.net/products/21421774.html

My partner and I both bought Takegawa kits for our CRFs.  He bought the basic big bore and I bought the Hyper kit which included the fuel controller and cams.  First off the Takegawa fuel controller is a simple "one profile" controller which doesn't allow the flexibility or tuning capabilities of the Dobeck EJK.  So I ended up purchasing an EJK.  But the main thing I wanted to tell you was that both of us ended up having multiple problems which resulted in having to revert to the stock piston and cylinder.  My bike blew the base then the head gasket.  Both times resulted in having to find ways to get home as the bike was incapacitated.  When my head gasket blew it also drained most of the coolant into the combustion chamber, as a result the bike overheated.  Fortunately I caught this before any real damage was done but still a major failure and a real pain in the ass.  The third time my bike failed I was running on a highway at 75mph which should be sustainable for the engine.  This time the piston scuffed the cylinder which trashed both and required a new top end.  At this point I was sick of pushing the bike and reinstalled the stock top end which has been reliable but relatively gutless ever since.  My buddy had a similar experience but his head gasket blew once then he also trashed the cylinder and piston.  The bike was significantly more powerful with the Takegawa big bore installed but it seems obvious that particular modification isn't a viable long term option.  It seems that sustained moderately high rpms will kill the kit every.single.time.  Previously I had an Athena 440cc big bore installed in a DRZ which was stone cold reliable for many years so I know that big bores are a realistic alternative but I would strongly recommend you stay away from the Takegawa kit.  Despite this the additional snap makes the bike much more ridable, makes the bike a lot more fun too.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.  

• Like 2