Kick starter stays stuck in the fully kicked position, anyone else have this problem/issue?

I had the chance to go riding yesterday and it was superb.  A mix of everything along with my favorite, dirt road/fire road, only rode 40 miles but it was a mostly great 40 miles.  

I had given my bike a few kicks but stopped after two when I had realized that the kickstarter was staying down in the fully kicked position and NOT recoiling back to the top where it should go back by itself.  If the warranty on the 500 RR-S is 12 months and not six, I will wait till the winter to drop it off and have it looked at and maybe even have them install the steel oil pump gears at the same time as I know I won't feel like doing it myself.  

Warranty is 6 months I think.. Did it ever recoil back up?

The warranty on RR-s models is 12 months, not six.

Kickers are pretty simple - it can only be a seal, shaft, or side cover issue. There was something similar on 2Ts a couple years ago and Beta replaced side covers that had slightly misaligned holes.

11 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

The warranty on RR-s models is 12 months, not six.

Kickers are pretty simple - it can only be a seal, shaft, or side cover issue. There was something similar on 2Ts a couple years ago and Beta replaced side covers that had slightly misaligned holes.

So are there different length warranties for different Beta? like the rr and the rs? My 09 525 RS had a 1 yr warranty and my 15 300rr had a 6 month warranty.  Is it the same or different here????? That just makes the 4 strokes even more of a draw if it's a full 1 year warranty.. That's awesome!!!

The return spring could have broken as well.

This is the problem... it happened to me.

Loosen all the cover bolts all the way around, give it a  jiggle then re-tighten to correct spec... this is very important.

At the moment you are misaligned because some of the bolts are overtightened, so the seal is putting pressure on the kicker spline and not allowing it to return.

You can confirm this is the problem by slowly kicking it through the stroke while the bolts are loose, you will see the kickstart returns freely.

43 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

So are there different length warranties for different Beta? like the rr and the rs? My 09 525 RS had a 1 yr warranty and my 15 300rr had a 6 month warranty.  Is it the same or different here????? That just makes the 4 strokes even more of a draw if it's a full 1 year warranty.. That's awesome!!!

The easiest way to put it is all the street legal bikes have 12 months warranty and off road only have 6 months.

This usually happens when an over zealous new owner starts finding 'loose bolts' on the motor cases, and starts tightening them.....and warping the cases.

This was a common problem 'back in the day' with a couple brands like Carabella and Moto Islo, etc...

 

I had verified with Beta that the RR-S warranty is 12 months or 1 year. 

 

I will loosen the case bolts as you had suggested livefivetwofive, thanks all.  I hope I just may have tightened a few of the case bolts too much as Krannie had mentioned. 

On the 2 strokes, there was one bolt close to the kick starter that would be over torqued.  Loosen it a bit and all is well.  Have not had a 4 stroke do it, but full disclosure, rarely attempt to kick a 4t!

 

Thanks for all the suggestions but, no joy on loosening any of the case bolts to try and free up any binding on the kickstarter parts.  

At least I'm under warranty till 02/22/2018 and can take the bike in once it gets cold up here in MA and have the dealer fix it along with install the passenger footpeg kit and maybe have them install the steel oil pump gears all at once.  

Common issue give the bike a few miles and recheck. My 350 was like this at first now its fine. Beta's are a swine to kickstart anyway I can start my 350 but its a big kick. 

Quote

Thanks for all the suggestions but, no joy on loosening any of the case bolts to try and free up any binding on the kickstarter parts.  

At least I'm under warranty till 02/22/2018 and can take the bike in once it gets cold up here in MA and have the dealer fix it along with install the passenger footpeg kit and maybe have them install the steel oil pump gears all at once.  

Send your dealer an email and start a paper trail early. Don't wait too long and get a lot of hours on it where they might say it's crash damage or wear and tear. Even if you don't get it fixed right away at least let them know sooner than later

On 6/29/2017 at 1:02 AM, MartyMOOSE said:

Common issue give the bike a few miles and recheck. My 350 was like this at first now its fine. Beta's are a swine to kickstart anyway I can start my 350 but its a big kick. 

Yup, what Marty said.  My 430 was like that for the first 5-8 hours, now it kicks more free to start and the lever returns to upright position like normal.

Won't have to worry about it on an '18.....

3 hours ago, Thewegian said:

Won't have to worry about it on an '18.....

Ha, they got rid of it altogether.  That is some faith but I can understand.  Streetbikes don't come with kickstarters anymore and most everything that has an e-start no longer has a rope or backup manual start option.  Progress.  

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Ha, they got rid of it altogether.  That is some faith but I can understand.  Streetbikes don't come with kickstarters anymore and most everything that has an e-start no longer has a rope or backup manual start option.  Progress.  

Not rid altogether right? can buy a kit like the xtrainer is and put the kicker on... not like a freeride or Sherco.. i don't think..

 

2018-Beta-250-RR-First-Look-enduro-motor

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
56 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Not rid altogether right? can buy a kit like the xtrainer is and put the kicker on... not like a freeride or Sherco.. i don't think..

 

2018-Beta-250-RR-First-Look-enduro-motor

The graphics, on the white plastics, just looks so much better than the red on red/white.  I also like no Beta on the seat.  Black forks, hmmmmmm.  

 

Yes, if one wants, one can get the kit to get the kickstarter back.  I'll be taking my bike in to have the kickstarter fixed under warranty as I have until February so I have time.  Plus, I will have it done over the winter so I won't miss any precious time with my beloved Beta.  

Beta2017rr300.jpg

RR-Racing-2stroke-rightside-HR.jpg

 

I don't know ... i'm still liking the Red plastics better .. and especially the race edition.. but They're all ok.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:37 PM, Butta said:

Yup, what Marty said.  My 430 was like that for the first 5-8 hours, now it kicks more free to start and the lever returns to upright position like normal.

 After a good break in the kick starting becomes ok on the 4 strokes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now