XR250 recommended gearing

As i've got to replace chain and both sprockets on the project bike I wondered what people would recommend for teeth count on each end.

Will only be used for Enduro events as won't be road legal so top speed or ability to cruise not really an issue.

Standard appears to be 13/48 but a tooth down on the front would appear to be a starting point, maybe 12/50 or even 12/52 ?

Edited by FFMan

As i've got to replace chain and both sprockets on the project bike I wondered what people would recommend for teeth count on each end.
Will only be used for Enduro events as won't be road legal so top speed or ability to cruise not really an issue.
Standard appears to be 13/48 but a tooth down on the front would appear to be a starting point, maybe 12/50 or even 12/52 ?

I don't know, I think I've got stock gearing on mine (street legal) and it's a decent blend of off road usefulness and on road barely getting by (top speed is between 55-60).... I will also add that I think going much lower than 12 - 13 causes issues somewhere around 52 the sprocket is too big... something like that.

Go to this site it will help you see what every sprocket combination will yield in speed / rpm in every gear , enter your information. It is a bit cofusing to use in the beginning but as soon as you see what going on it is pretty straight forward.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

• Like 1

Nice find, that will save me the time to make up a spreadsheet.

thanks,    tom

yeah nice find

seems standard gearing is pretty low