What Bike has Easiest Bottom-end to Assemble?

So, I just finished putting my 2008 KTM 300-XCW bottom end back together with new crank and bearings.  I must say that it was the smoothest and easiest bottom end to slide together that I ever did - by far!

Went from bare cases (with bearings installed) to bolted together in 10 minutes.  Well, except for finding that one tiny bearing retainer that I forgot.  Still, 10 minutes later I had it apart and back together.

No banging, prying, or special tools required.  Only had time for 1 beer (but had 4 or 5 before).  Hardly had any parts leftover either!  (kidding, LOL).

Not sure if it is actually the simple design and tolerances, of I am just getting to be a slick mechanic.  I remember taking an hour to put together some KX-125 and then finding it didn't shift right!

They are all about the same. You should never be banging, prying. Special tools are nearly always required. Usually, if bearing just slips in, there is a potential problem. In those situations, you need to use Red or even Green loctite and then heat to disassemble.

My record time to replace cases and a crank bearing was 45 minutes start to finish. Air cooled 2S Rode the bike, bearing went, pulled engine, new case, new bearings, reassembled, Barrel was still warm enough to not need to choke on restart. Air tools, all Allen Bolts, all special tools, good shop space.

• Like 3

Left main bearing is 2-part.  Outer presses into case, inner race onto shaft, makes it slide right together!  I suppose I did gently tap the right case onto crank first.

Ktms are easier. No tools needed other than taps from a mallet. 

They are all the same just little different to me. I do couple 2-3 a week sometimes.  If just bring engine takes about 20 mins to split have crank out bearings and seals out. Then clean reassemble with waterpump rebuilt if has one or in kit. I take powervalves out and clean, then clean cylinder. Pre lube everything and back together usually 2-3 hours depending on how dirty they are :ride:  easiest tho I'd say Ktm and Honda 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1