Jump to content

Good shop air conditioner?

Recommended Posts

On my 4th Florida summer and I'm going to break down and buy and air conditioner for the garage. Just too damn hot & humid to get any work done. After 15 minutes of basic bike maintenance, I have sweat pouring in my eyes. So, you could say that I'm a big ol' pus'. With that out of the way, I have no widows, so looking at portables like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_76_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A3206324011%2Cn%3A3737671%2Cn%3A14554126011%2Ck%3Aportable+air+conditioner%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A14554145011%2Cp_76%3A1249155011&sort=smooth-review-rank&keywords=portable+air+conditioner&ie=UTF8&qid=1498487713&rnid=1249153011

Anyone using a portable? If so, what make/model and how's it work? Need something for a 650 square foot triple.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about air conditioners but I feel your pain.  High of 67 degrees today Michigsn I might have to break out a beer cozy to keep my beer from getting warm.  

 

Doc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

I don't know much about air conditioners but I feel your pain.  High of 67 degrees today Michigsn I might have to break out a beer cozy to keep my beer from getting warm.  

 

Doc

67? I'd be asking about heaters then! ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do the portables do about the water? I don't see one working properly in a very humid area like mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 600 sq foot shop in the desert of SoCal.  I can't recommend a mini split system enough.  Something like this is affordable, a handy person can do 90% of the install and then call in a liensed AC person to draw the proper vacuum and charge the system.

I have a unit from a company called Gree, it is a heat pump and AC in one and kicks ass.

A unit this size heats/cools my 600 sq feet like a champ.  https://www.comfortup.com/gree-vir18230-145815-18-000-btu-20-seer-wall-mount-mini-split-air-conditioner-heat-pump-208-230v-15-line-set

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Gets dumped into an internal tank that you drain periodically. My buddy moved here and lived with me a bit. I got spoiled using his.

OK, you go first and then let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used my buddy's and it worked well. But, I need to insulate my garage doors and toss in some insulation above the drywall in the garage for full efficiency.

I think I'm going to go w/ this...

https://www.costco.com/De'Longhi-Pinguino-14%2c000-BTU-3-in-1-WIFI-Enabled-Portable-Air-Conditioner%2c-Dehumidifier-%26-Fan.product.100340308.html

At least with Costco, returns are easy for any reason if I hate it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

On my 4th Florida summer and I'm going to break down and buy and air conditioner for the garage. Just too damn hot & humid to get any work done. After 15 minutes of basic bike maintenance, I have sweat pouring in my eyes. So, you could say that I'm a big ol' pus'. With that out of the way, I have no widows, so looking at portables like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_76_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A3206324011%2Cn%3A3737671%2Cn%3A14554126011%2Ck%3Aportable+air+conditioner%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A14554145011%2Cp_76%3A1249155011&sort=smooth-review-rank&keywords=portable+air+conditioner&ie=UTF8&qid=1498487713&rnid=1249153011

Anyone using a portable? If so, what make/model and how's it work? Need something for a 650 square foot triple.

I ran a 240VAC dedicated circuit, cut a hole in my wall, framed it out and shoved a window unit in it about 18 years ago.  2.5 ton unit still runs fine.  If you have a roll up door that is not insulated I recommend insulting it, especially if it gets direct sun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get one of those big like 3 foot by 3 foot coolers. Those things work good! Just have to make sure you have your door open when you have it on, otherwise it'll be super humid in your garage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

Get one of those big like 3 foot by 3 foot coolers. Those things work good! Just have to make sure you have your door open when you have it on, otherwise it'll be super humid in your garage!

If I open my garage door, I'm just letting in more heat & humidity. I don't see an evaporative cooler as a viable solution for a Florida summer. I ended up buying a 14k BTU rolling AC unit that exhausts the hot, moist air outside. I ran in for just 30 to 40 minutes yesterday and it took a hot, sticky garage to a reasonably comfortable working temp with a good drop in humidity. On hot days, it's not going to be a meat locker, but as long as I don't have sweat flowing down my butt crack and into my eyes, I'm good! :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a portable swamp cooler that works fine in our shop.  But I live in the high desert SW where there is usually very little humidity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

We have a portable swamp cooler that works fine in our shop.  But I live in the high desert SW where there is usually very little humidity.

We used them in our shop in Vegas for the same reason: high evaporation rates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If I open my garage door, I'm just letting in more heat & humidity. I don't see an evaporative cooler as a viable solution for a Florida summer. I ended up buying a 14k BTU rolling AC unit that exhausts the hot, moist air outside. I ran in for just 30 to 40 minutes yesterday and it took a hot, sticky garage to a reasonably comfortable working temp with a good drop in humidity. On hot days, it's not going to be a meat locker, but as long as I don't have sweat flowing down my butt crack and into my eyes, I'm good!   

"sweat flowing down my butt crack and into my eyes" Are you hanging upside down in your garage? ;) But hey that's good, an A/C unit is always better. Keeps you nice and cool minus the humidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×