Bought a 16 501...

All the red sticker-green sticker stuff here in California made me go looking for a plated bike.  Found a 2016 Husky 501 with 5.2 hours.  I'm told it was mapped for the Akrapovic slip on but I'm not sure how to verify that these days...  I currently ride a '16 Husky 300 and I'm not totally up on all the tricks for the 501.  If anyone has a link to a thread I might need or suggestions, feel free to shoot them my way or post here.  Thanks in advance!

5011.png

5013.png

5015.png

Sigma Pi,  I want it all!  Looks and performance- real performance though.  It does feel like it needs a little help.  Its been mapped for the Akrapovic slip on, desmogged too but it needs more.  Gearing, I think, is 13/48.  Haven't ridden on the dirt yet and on the street, the damn wheels are so out of balance I can't ride it comfortably over about 45.  Gotta fix that too.

The first thing for sure is the air filter.....make sure that sucker is well sealed so nothing gets into the motor....i found that the air filter doesn't sit/seal well on the husky models 2014-2016.... When you install make sure to check with your fingers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filwell77 said:

The first thing for sure is the air filter.....make sure that sucker is well sealed so nothing gets into the motor....i found that the air filter doesn't sit/seal well on the husky models 2014-2016.... When you install make sure to check with your fingers.

Same oil filter and cage as my '16 Husky 300, right?  They are weird...

Does a header pipe do much on the Husky 501?

9 minutes ago, filwell77 said:

THIS!!!  

Get mirrors that are actually useful like the double take. 

Edited by Sigma Pi
  • Like 1

Nice bike. I have the same exact one. Performance was solid enough for me stock so I am going to do suspension and steering stabilizer first before performance. Your gonna love the 501. Never ridden another bike like it. If you have the S version I'd recommend euro map and all the uncorking stuff. Mine is the non S version that has been converted to street legal so it came with the aggressive tune etc. 

Edited by Tomkat13

Yea I had to get a plated bike too. The trails around me have been blocked off here and there and you have to ride on roads to jump from trail to trail now where as in the past (80's and 90's) I could just ride out of my yard and get to anywhere needed (me and a friend even used to ride our dirt bikes to school completely on trails - 13.7 miles one way on trails). I couldn't do a traditional dual sport coming from MX bikes since they're too big and bulky normally using really dated tech and boring power plus I wanted the option to maybe hit of a MX track here and there but I had to get something street legal that could give me more use. The Husky 501S seemed to be the perfect bike for me since it looks and feels very motocross style and is street legal. I would of loved to get a KXf450 but this Husky has been a real eye opener. I don't think I could ever go back to a cable clutch! The clutch and shifting on the 501S is the best I've ever had on any dirt bike and I've been riding since the 80's and have owned all the Japanese brands!

Edited by Emig5m