What kind of bike is this?

So I was cutting my neighbors lawn when i came across this bike in my neighbors barn. They said i could have it for free and i thought it would be a great thing to try and fix up. But after looking at it and doing some research i cant find what it actually is. I believe  it is a 1985 YZ 125, but i am not sure. Anyone know what it is and where i might be able to find some parts for it? Or if it would be better just top sell it for parts. Thanks!

IMG_6226.JPG

So I need to put an engine in this obviously. So can i just put any 125 2-stroke engine in or does it need to be specific?

4 minutes ago, motorhog said:

So I need to put an engine in this obviously. So can i just put any 125 2-stroke engine in or does it need to be specific?

So how will i know if it will fit?

Find the engine in the barn. It must be there somewhere. Look in that go cart under The pile of bailing twine!

Edit: it might be on the generator or water pump

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

Find the engine in the barn. It must be there somewhere. Look in that go cart under The pile of bailing twine!

I wish that was the case lol. But there is no engine to be found. 

Most two stroke YZ-125 engines have the counter shaft sprocket on the left hand side of the bike.  Yours had it on the right hand side.  That is your first and biggest guide point.

• Like 1

So do you have any recommendations about how to go about finding an engine that would work?

1 minute ago, William1 said:

I would not waste the time trying to get an engine for it. Sell the parts, use that money toward getting a complete bike.

I have a complete 2003 YZ250F but i was figuring its would be a cool project to work on over the summer. 

Just now, motorhog said:

I have a complete 2003 YZ250F but i was figuring its would be a cool project to work on over the summer. 

It would be if money were no object.

You need an engine, carb, exhaust, chain, sprockets, tires, all new bearings and a ton of odds and ends. A 1980 YZ125 in great shape is worth $1,200. I would wager it would cost double that to make it a halfway decent runner. Then you still have a 37 year old bike.

• Like 6

I thought 80 models were yellow and that in the 90's they went Red an white?

I think it just has a bunch of aftermarket parts on it.

On 6/26/2017 at 3:00 PM, CaptainKnobby said:

I thought 80 models were yellow and that in the 90's they went Red an white?

In 1985 the color was changed to white and red so it is the correct color.

• Like 1

The VIN number on the steering head will provide you with the year of the bike.

As others have said, sell it for parts.

Dump parts for whatever you can and find a complete (or close to) and tinker. That thing has no good value of what's missing for tinker. 

• Like 1