Sign in to follow this  

WTH does this part do?

I have a 2013 ttr 230 with around 10-12 hours on it. It's ran like crap for a while and I figured it was because I left gas in it for about a year. I've cleaned the carb several times and had in on and off more times than I care to admit. Each time it has still ran the same. The last time I put it back on I noticed a hole in the carb joint. Obviously that shouldn't be there. So this time when I put it back together I stuck my finger over it and low and behold it runs right. So I'm trying to figure out what the hell the thing does. I've looked up pics and everything and it looks like a capped off air fitting. So I stuck a screw in it. Not far enough to protrude inside of course but enough to plug the hole. So now it runs, but seems to backfire through the carb and will shut off. Now I'm thinking that maybe this isn't just capped, it's actually some kind of check valve. Can somebody confirm this or tell me if there's any easy fix. I have a trip planned with my son in a couple days and I'm gonna pay more to get it sent overnight than the part actually costs. 

2nd diagram. Parts 3,4,25, and 26 are gone. The stem sticking out there is broke off leaving a hole in that carb joint. Without the legend, what is part 25? Would that be a check valve? 

#25 is just a plug - part of the hose #24 that isnt there

you just have to find some way of connecting it back up from the carby to the inlet manifold without clogging it up with silicon

or buy a new inlet manifold which has the brass insert - the piece thats missing from yours

wr.JPG

Interesting - my son has a 2007 TTR230 and a friend has a 2014.  Neither has the #24 hose connection.  It is simply capped off at the intake.

Could this bike somehow be a "California spec" model or something stupid like that?  You know that motorcycles have been known to cause death in the state of California, right?

Part 24 starts and ends in the carb. I believe this stem was just capped off. If part 25 is just a plug and not a check valve then what would be the issue of just sticking a screw in it? When I did though it seemed to build back pressure through the carb. Maybe I was imagining things? I'm in NC and I was thinking the same thing about that being a CA emissions thing. 

I think I would replace the intake boot and the cap (part #25).  It looked like the #24 hose went over to the intake, but upon closer inspection it is simply capped.  See this picture from my 07.

IMG_20170627_091808.jpg

I've had to cancel our trip as I can't get this part fast enough. Obviously the kid isn't to happy about it but I bribed him with an extra day of riding if he waited till next week. I'm gonna replace everything back the way it's supposed to be, I was just looking for a quick fix to get by for a week. Still not quite sure why a screw wouldn't work, but better safe than sorry I guess. 

if you can use RTV and a screw to prevent air leaks and the bike runs well then go for it!

See, that's kinda the thing, I tried that. It ran good for a bit but then it was trying to backfire through the carb and eventually cut off. Now, I may have been having a fuel supply issue being the reason for it cutting off and not wanting to start back but I can't explain the pressure blowing back through the carb. That's why I was leaning towards that being a check valve. 

In that case I would check valves, timing, and clean carb.  Mine just has a simple plastic cap on that barb on the intake boot.

Yeah I was thinking valves also.  With just 10 hours on the bike though that shouldn't be an issue. However, that stem is one I would never imagine breaking off either. I'm starting to think this bike was built on a Monday after a long holiday weekend. I appreciate the help and thank you for your time. 

They are really disposable bikes.  You'll need a valve tappet wrench to adjust the valves.  They are easy enough to check and adjust.