Sign in to follow this  

Gerston with the W at Mt. Baker

16 hours ago, OscarFox said:

And how about my motorcycle club buddy Joel Tonsgard was up on the podium with him!  That makes 2 Beta's on the Pro podium. 🙂  His first AMA national Hare scramble race.  He is a local pro (we designate them AA in the local series) off-road racer.  It has been fun watching him grow up and become so fast.

From the link above:  "Hesitant to even enter since he’d never ridden a National-caliber race, Tonsgard ended up glad he did aboard his Frank’s Motorbikes/Golden Tyre/Fly Racing Beta 250 RR. “It was a lot of fun; it was gnarly, though” he observed. “I got a pretty good start so I just tried to maintain. I dropped back a little bit then caught back up to Axel and Nick. I was like, ‘I’ll just keep pace with them,’ and eventually I got around them and put my head down and charged.”

JoelD100-2016.jpg

• Like 3

I shit the bed badly after lap 3. Did a nice little trip over the bars, remounted soon afterwards only to throw a chain 5 minutes later... I just rode around after that. Though I don't mind that kinda race I just couldn't get comfortable...

• Like 3

I was thinking this would be a good race for Max, even though he's from AZ he's still more of s technical rider and used to tight stuff. He needs as big a points gap as he can get becuase it's going to be hard to beat Burson in the desert races. 

I was going to mention Joel too. Awesome to see another Beta up there!  I've met him at Endurocross races and he is a nice kid. I actually didn't realize he was that good, just watching somebody ride EX can be deceiving. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ccullins said:

I was going to mention Joel too. Awesome to see another Beta up there!  I've met him at Endurocross races and he is a nice kid. I actually didn't realize he was that good, just watching somebody ride EX can be deceiving. 

Joel, is always going to be a goofy kid to me.  :D   He doesn't really get to do much EX, he definitely is a harescrambles/Desert racer though.

I remember Joel from a couple years ago at the Winter Rounds in Staddleline. He was just out of B class. He would blow the doors off me, crash... Pass me again, crash, repeat repeatedly... I think he broke his wrist a round later... So so fast but couldn't keep upright... 

• Like 3

I shit the bed badly after lap 3. Did a nice little trip over the bars, remounted soon afterwards only to throw a chain 5 minutes later... I just rode around after that. Though I don't mind that kinda race I just couldn't get comfortable...

Sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience last weekend. Took the lead and in the second lap had 4 get offs in about 4 minutes, screwed up a simple hill and got stuck for a few minutes it's in a really bad mud line. Finally recovered by the 4th lap and missed the cut off for 5th lap. Worst race of the year. 23rd overall and 6th in class.

17 minutes ago, BassMan said:

Sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience last weekend. Took the lead and in the second lap had 4 get offs in about 4 minutes, screwed up a simple hill and got stuck for a few minutes it's in a really bad mud line. Finally recovered by the 4th lap and missed the cut off for 5th lap. Worst race of the year. 23rd overall and 6th in class.

Historically I've done well at this race before, when it comes wasnt part of the Hare & Hound series. I had some problems with my eyes at the prior race due to dust and unfortunately I couldn't get new contacts in time so I had to race with the old crappy ones...

Still, I shouldn't be complaining. I still won last weekend which REALLY surprised me! I even told the scoring guy that he was full of crap and just messing with me. I took the points lead in my series too... I have 4 wins and a 3rd this year. 

• Like 5